Friday, September 1, 2023

A long weekend

Southern Belle, Handsome Hombre and Quicksilver are moving to their new residence this weekend. It is three miles from where we live and we will be providing daycare for Quicksilver.

Today makes four months: May, June, July and August.

They say that house-guests are like fish, they both start to smell after three days. That has not been the case with SB, HH and QS. While there have been little frictions they pretty much pulled their own weight. They helped with chores around the house and there is enough room that everybody had space.

While I don't plan to ever have to move in with them, I suspect I will be welcomed and I now have an appreciation of what I would have to do to make my stay palatable to them. Buying food and picking up some of the burdensome housekeeping chores like vacuuming, dishes and cleaning bathrooms goes a long way to making a guest welcome.

There were things I did not anticipate in watching Quicksilver; and I apologize if this sounds like an old man carping and whining.

1.) Watching a toddler can be not-aerobic. I am used to moving around more. I am counter-measuring by popping her into the backpack and taking walks but then she is sedentary. She LOVES visiting the cows and "talking with them", that is, she says "Moo!  Moo!  Moo!" when she sees them.

2.) It takes more planning to do inside projects. If my project requires that I run out to the barn to get a different tool, then I either have to take QS with me or I need to have "kitted" my tools-and-materials ahead of time. I cannot just jet out to the barn to grab the tool when it is my part of the day to mind QS.

There is still some sorting out to do. It is Mrs ERJ's intention to charge a small amount of money to watch QS. Basically enough to cover the cost of the food we feed her and any toys and materials we will purchase to entertain her. By my figuring, that will be 1/4 to 1/3 of what a commercial day-care would charge.

The other reasons for charging a wee bit is that people value what they pay for. It is human nature to take for granted what is "free". Mrs ERJ and I intend to take vacations and SB and HH need to have a back-up plan for QS. We cannot allow ourselves to become hostage to their addiction to "free" day-care. That becomes less of an issue if we charge something.

6 comments:

  1. At the risk of going out on a limb, I think those 2 appreciate what you are doing for them. Over time they will become accustomed to it, and grow used to it, true... but I think you got a couple winners.
    It may help to try combining tasks with activities - take QS on a fence-tour when its time to check for shorts. She can talk to the cows while you mend the wire? That sort of thing? May have to do certain tasks certain days?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your daycare sounds logical. Both my kids (now full grown) were raised in our neighborhood by a 'Grandma', watching her Grandkids. We paid by the week and her children received free day care (w/ help with food costs, as we did as well).

    Well, sometimes the parents decided a weekend w/o kids could be done fairly often, leaving the Grandparents taking care of kids full time. Three or four of them at once - that is some WORK ! My wife and I never did that, our kids came along with us nearly always, the few other times our Grandmas gladly taking some time to spoil their Grandchildren.

    Treasure that time - kids grow fast and a lot of great family memories can be mad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Best of luck to HH and SB.

    My parents had the same sort of arrangement with my sister and brother in law - although they did not directly pay, they "paid" in other ways (and my father was happy to do it). That said, your plan sounds eminently reasonable as in point of fact you will want and need some time away as well.

    Even though we never intend to live with our relatives, it is good to know one can do it and how one can make the "social lubricant" work better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are significant tax breaks available for childcare costs, suggest they look into them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea, and yes, grands DO take time and effort to 'manage'...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Watching children...or grandchildren...requires constant attention. Thankfully that period is only a few years, at most. Enjoy it. Won't be that long before she won't be wanting to spend as much time with you and will prefer to keep herself occupied.

    ReplyDelete

Readers who are willing to comment make this a better blog. Civil dialog is a valuable thing.