Tuesday, August 1, 2023

A request from a regular reader (apple recommendations)

A few tenacious readers have succeeded in obtaining my private email. Bully for them!

One of those readers, let's call him Itchy Brother, lives in a climate similar to Las Vegas. Hot and dry!

Itchy Brother is terra-forming the desert and loves the scatter-gun genetics of seedlings. He has connections to Oklahoma and the diverse, domesticated and semi-domesticated plants of the Indians aka, Native Americans.

His request involved apples.

He planted a large number of seedlings and a few...a very few...have fruit of sufficient merit to not cull. He looked at the healthy trees and wondered, "What kinds of apples would the brilliant, experienced, sophisticated, worldly readership of ERJ's blog suggest I graft over my "culls"? I know he has an international readership and surely there are like-minded readers who are successfully growing apples in places like Australia and Lower Alabama (L.A.) and South Africa?"

Whaddya think? Can we help out Itchy Brother? God willing, Lucky-from-Kentucky will weigh in. He throws a wide net and knows people nearly everywhere. I expect him to weigh-in and suggest apple-crabs like Callahan and Centennial.

Others might suggest Gold Rush which is a very, very late apple in the mid-West.

Does anybody grow Ben Davis apple? It is an old variety that was grown in much of the mid-South and deep-South.

Help me out, here. Please.

7 comments:

  1. In fact, I made $20,220 in just six weeks of quietly working on a laptop. When I lost my office job, I was very worried. ‘w2 I finally had the best career and realized that I could make thousands of dollars just by staying at home. Anyone can take advantage of this opportunity and earn extra money online at v by visiting this website.
    Here >> Click USD Work

    ReplyDelete
  2. No help here, black thumb and all that... sigh

    ReplyDelete
  3. The south and deep south have something that N.M., south Texas and AZ don't have.... Moisture.

    I have three surviving apple trees in Seguin, Tx. 2 Anna's and one Eine Shiner
    I'm giving them about a gallon of water every other day and they're surviving. This will last till probably somewhere in October when I can take off the netting (because of grasshoppers -hate those f*cking things) and can let mother nature do her nurturing until about May or June.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am going back a stretch here but in the late 70's I was able to order apple scions from the Worcester, Ma. horticultural society. They had, at the time, 200 varieties of "antique" apples. I believe they charged $1/ea at the time. I had a dwarf apple tree that the local kids had broken the branches on so I successfully grafted 5 different varieties on that one tree. I grafted "Sheepnose" and "Westfield Seek No Further", the other 3 types I can't remember. I divorced, sold the house and moved across the street and the new owners cut the tree down. It was a great service that they offered and worth researching to see if they or some other organization offer the same service.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Down from a high of 60+ apple varieties, I now only maintain a handful...but I've kinda come to the realization that I prefer pears and persimmons to apples.
    That said...'MonArk' is hard to beat for an early season apple. 'Trailman' crab is the tastiest apple I've ever eaten, hands-down. 'Centennial' and 'Kerr' applecrabs are mainstays in our orchard. 'Callaway', an ornamental crab, is a heavy bearer of tasty little 1-1.5" crabapples.
    'Clark's Crab' , from Clark deLisle in KS (scionwood available from 39th Parallel Nursery) is getting rave reviews; I just grafted it this spring, so the jury is still out.
    Skillcult (look up his YouTube stuff) is doing some interesting apple breeding & trials... I got his 'Bite Me' selection this spring...

    ReplyDelete
  6. As Kurtp said humidity is totally different from southeast. I have more expertise in pecans than apple, however I would do the same thing that he did with the seedlings. I would experiment with some different variety

    ReplyDelete
  7. Australia is one of the hottest apple-growing regions. The three biggest varieties are Cripps Pink, Gala and Granny Smith. Cripps Red and Braeburn might also deserve consideration.

    ReplyDelete

Readers who are willing to comment make this a better blog. Civil dialog is a valuable thing.