Tuesday, August 8, 2023

A note on the fiction

Old NFO mentioned on his blog a writer who will attempt to write 52 short stories over the course of the next year.

That is an intriguing challenge.

I sort of think I am "written out". I would hate to become like Jane Fonda or Cher or Madonna and keep hitting the same chord and boring everybody who is too polite to call BS.

I sent feelers out to a few trusted folks. I asked them for some thought-starters to prime the pump. One responded within minutes with five great ideas. He was way ahead of me.

My goal is to bang out a short-story a week as long as there are workable ideas in the hopper. I will be thrilled if you want to offer ideas in the comments. Think of me as your keyboard-for-hire.

Unfortunately, many of the stories are likely to be great starts for longer stories but I will not develop them. You will have to do that in your own minds. This is not a negative. All stories are written in our minds. The author merely pushes buttons on a keyboard in a certain order. The magic happens in the reader's mind.

Next week's (and probably the week after) will be a variation of "Bug-out or stay?". No promises after that.

10 comments:

  1. I think that is a cool endeavor!
    I have admired those that can write a more or less complete bit on something. I love to read but always been a slow reader. Even if its interesting 500 pages takes me a long time. 30+ years ago I wrote several short stories for a local horse publication. I had been at a 100+ acre horse farm for several years and wrote short bits about the excitement expensive horses can get themselves in. They edited the raw excitement out. That was the beginning and end of my writing endeavor.
    Go for it! And if it peters out.... Its okay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joe - as a long time reader I can say your fiction is best when the story plays out over time. So many times I recall waiting for the next short in a mini saga, as events unfold.

    Glad to read anything you produce for free, but know that you have a talent for episodes that string together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm also a fan of your fiction work. The way you mix in some "I'll be darned !" information you want to write in the margins to not forget it.

      I'm glad you found the time (and the inclination) to write up ERJ mind scribblings.

      Delete
  3. Insurrection! As a continuing storyline. A short story about Joe, who just lost it when his granddaughter was trannyed into sterility at school and went postal at the next teacher in-service day. With inspiring quote from founding fathers. Sally who's grandchild had been "accidentally" shot while ATF agents were trying to shoot her teacup poodle (said agents given immunity by the court,) organizes a campaign to publish the names and addresses of officers who are on swat teams while working cooperatively with AntiFa and BLM. The women's PTA group that was targeted by the FBI and the IRS had all their members and relatives de-banked by GloboBank, Inc.start a rumor campaign that leads to bank runs and collapse of GloboBank.

    Can't wait to see what you get up to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trolls still trolling. We see you…

      Delete
  4. Joe,
    Given your track record I (and I suspect WE) will gladly read whatever you write
    Boat Guy

    ReplyDelete
  5. ERJ, that is a great exercise. It gives you the chance to try completely different themes and concepts without having to commit to writing any of them that do not really work, or continuing those that do.

    An individual I follow on The Book of Face only writes what are the beginnings of short stories or short stories themselves, and is very good at drawing you in.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I very much enjoy your fiction. The shows, Station 11(book was better, duh) and Last of us, made me think more about twenty years after the er, trouble. I would like to see your take.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Watching out the window of a 737 on an evening approach to a mid size airport, the lights of suburbia go dark ...

    East of Paris

    ReplyDelete

Readers who are willing to comment make this a better blog. Civil dialog is a valuable thing.