Wednesday, May 1, 2019

The cost of daily "little" luxuries

One Starbucks Caffè Latte Grande...$3.45
Two Mojitos................................$16.00
1/8 gram of weed.........................$1.25 ($10 a gram, NYC price)
A pack of cigarettes.....................$14.00  (price in the Bronx)

Totals $34.70/day.

Over 250 work days per year, $8675 a year.

If the person purchasing those little luxuries were 29 years old and were to invest it and get 6% a year, then it would be $50,000 by the time they are sixty years old.

$50,000 can buy a lot of metformin, insulin, furosemide, clonidine or sertraline.

4 comments:

  1. I've been tracking my savings during my recent self improvement streak. The savings are enormous.

    But where can you get 6% today?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just looked at my 401-k. I got 5.8% return over the last 52 weeks. I am running a conservative 40% domestic, Equity-Index fund and 60% short-term, domestic bond fund.

      Delete
    2. Okay, well, there's that :)

      Delete
  2. Not to mention the the nearly $269,000 in principal that they'd have as well

    ReplyDelete

Readers who are willing to comment make this a better blog. Civil dialog is a valuable thing.