Saturday, September 2, 2023

Two-stage triggers for increased sensitivity

I have several inexpensive, Made-in-China live-traps. While they are economical to purchase their triggers leave much to be desired when attempting to trap squirrels.

The typical trigger is a tread-plate that is positioned 45 degrees from horizontal and it assumes the target animal will step on it or crawl over it which will move the trip-rod and release the door.

Some of the traps have very poor execution and the opening in the side of the trap for the trip-rod is too small to allow sufficient travel to release the door. Another weakness is that some animals, tree squirrels for instance, happily hop over the tread-plate and never touch it. Other targets are so light-weight, like chipmunks, that they cannot depress the tread-plate.

If you pursue making the trigger more sensitive, you run into the issue of making it too sensitive. It will trip when you carry it. It will spontaneously trip in the breeze or when the latch feature on the door creeps.

The "engineering" solution is to implement a two-stage trigger.

I chose to use a common rat trap. It has plenty of sensitivity to be tripped by chipmunks and red squirrels but it does not have sufficient muscle to kill them.

I cut one wire to make the hole the string went through taller. Then I have a 2-by-4 with two thread-spools on deck-screw "axles".

This shows both spools.

I bent a wire to make the dog. I used a piece that I had cut from a feed-lot panel that I had fabricated into a planting-tray.


I originally used a taut-line hitch to hold the dog but the first time I tested it, it launched the dog fifteen feet. Subsequent runs were made by making multiple wraps with the baling twine and a square-knot. I retained the taut-line hitch to put tension in the line so it stayed on the spools.

But does it work?

When you walk up on the trap from this direction, you cannot see what you caught or if it was a spontaneous "trip".

My first catch was a mouse. That told me two things. One was that the set-up was significantly more sensitive than it was before. The second thing I learned is that my red squirrels are spoiled rotten and turned up their noses at peanuts.

I cracked a black walnut and rebaited with a quarter-walnut. Three hours later....

Why trap squirrels?

I figure a single squirrel can harvest at least fifty pounds of nuts. One red squirrel can easily harvest all of the hazelnuts from 10, mature hazelnut bushes.

Controlling red squirrels is not about harvesting the 4 ounces of meat. It is about protecting the nut-crop.

12 comments:

  1. Excellent job and thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Use an air rifle or pellet gun. On a good day I can shoot 15 in 3 or 4 hours.

    3 days later I can do it again.

    So far I have tired of killing them sooner than I have run out of squirrels.

    ReplyDelete
  3. my one uncle used to trap squirrels by the dozens. he used a 2by 4 and snares. he put the board against a tree at a 45 angle
    and the damn squirrels just ran up it (?) weird, but he had 3-4 snares on each board and often got 2-3 of them on each.
    eastern KY. dave in pa.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you gotta be an engineer like you to run that thing. --ken

    ReplyDelete
  5. Did you add a tether to the dog so it can't recoil to the end of the blue twine? A foot or so would keep it on top of the trap for easier resetting. Otherwise a brilliant design.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope. I found it tangled into the twine near the upper spool.

      Delete
  6. great job!

    I use a slingshot.

    ReplyDelete
  7. 30+ years ago my late father started trapping squirrels for much the same reason, reliably got one every morning, and drove them to some woods a little over a mile away to release them. He wondered if the woods were close enough they would come back, so he spray-painted their tails yellow while in the trap to track them, painted maybe 15-20 before he used up the spray paint. He kept catching them for several months before "the herd got thinned" enough to protect his strawberries.

    A few weeks after he ran out of paint he was reading the "community bulletin" entries in the local paper and noticed someone whose neighborhood was adjacent to that patch of woods was asking about some new breed of squirrel with yellow tails.

    He never saw one come back, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a funny story. Good one and totally believable.---ken

      Delete
  8. Good job! And liked anon's story too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My last month paycheck was for 11000 dollars… All i did was simple online work from comfort at home for 3-4 hours/day /95 bucks every hour…..> .info on web
    .——>
    www.pay.salary49.com

    ReplyDelete

Readers who are willing to comment make this a better blog. Civil dialog is a valuable thing.