Saturday, August 3, 2013

Laundry

Laundry is one of those unavoidable tasks.  It also happens to be one of the largest users of electricity.

Graphic courtesy of NASA
As "the retired guy" I am doing more of the kid laundry and I am seeing some patterns.

One particular item has been showing up in every laundry cycle.  It is a fleece lined hoodie and it must way 2 pounds dry.  It is unusual for a cool weather item to show up so frequently during the middle of the summer.

Looks like a road kill, doesn't it?

What can I say.  Big is comfortable.

Well, it was cool last night and I got chilled.  So I put the hoodie on (hey, the kids are not around to see me wearing their hand-me-ups) and figured out the issue.


At two pounds it sponges up enormous amounts of water and takes forever to dry.

This item is heading to the landfill.  In a perfect world I would sew in a new zipper and my kids would wear it.  But it is not a perfect world.

Oh, I and I am going to have a little talk with the kids about not just dumping problems into the dirty laundry.  That does not solve problems.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Readers who are willing to comment make this a better blog. Civil dialog is a valuable thing.