Thursday, August 29, 2013

Don't fret

For Want of a Nail

  •  For want of a shoe the horse was lost. 
  •  For want of a horse the rider was lost. 
  •  For want of a rider the message was lost. 
  •  For want of a message the battle was lost. 
  •  For want of a battle the kingdom was lost. 
  •  And all for the want of a horseshoe nail.

The earliest reference to the full proverb may refer to the death of Richard III of England at the Battle of Bosworth Field. This short variation of the proverb, was published in "Fifty Famous People" by James Baldwin. The story associated with the proverb, describing the unhorsing of King Richard during battle.

This event has also been identified as the origin of the Humpty-Dumpty ditty.

Blisters

Blisters are the bane of those who really work on their feet.

I have been ratcheting up my long runs.  I ran 8 miles on Saturday.  But I think the cause of my blister was when I went into town to pick up a gallon of milk and I did not wear socks.

Can you find the boo-boo?
It may not look like much but it is a complete show-stopper if not treated with respect.

Secret weapon:

Hat tip to Grand Pappy
In the world of structures, material erosion due to rubbing is called "fretting".

So don't fret, put on a second skin.  A snug, slippery pair of nylons will protect your skin and provide a slippery surface so your main, cushioning sock will not grab and rub your skin.

---Disclosure statement---


The photo of the foot was taken after today's 9 mile run.  The "before" pictures disappeared due to my failure to put the SD card back into the camera.  The "after" pictures are virtually identical to my memory of the "before" pictures.

My next challenge is to armor against sweat running into my eyes.  This is what my glasses look like after nine miles.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Readers who are willing to comment make this a better blog. Civil dialog is a valuable thing.