Saturday, April 16, 2022

ERJ Juvenile Humor Edition


 Man does not live by calories alone.

Don't mix Continental and Mexican

Side story:

I was working 3rd shift at "The Factory" when I was given direction to "roll out" some bit of administrative chicken-shit.

My people were scattered over a million square feet of factory floor-space so it took a bit of walking to find and "roll-out" the chicken-shit to the thirty-five souls I was responsible for. As an added insult, I had to collect their signatures that I had "presented" the material to them.

After sharing-the-joy with the last batch of people I was responsible for, I stopped by the "Metrology Center" to take a load off my feet.

One of the skilled tradesmen was new in the MC. He was a recent transfer from a facility that had been closed down.

"Hiding, huh?" he suggested.

"No. Not really" I responded. "Mostly I am getting out of my people's way and letting them do their jobs."

"I found out that when I have to deliver stupid news it is best to let them sort it out for themselves. I have some hot-heads and I just need to give them some space. Zits don't heal if you keep picking at them"

The skilled tradesman nodded his head as if he understood.

Twelve months later he was elected chairman of the UAW local. The folks who had transferred with him from the closed facility voted en masse for him. Add to that the long-time employees who were not happy with the two "local" candidates and he breezed into office.

Six months after that I had some major dissonance with management. It was of a magnitude that if any stakeholder felt a compelling desire to stab me in the back I would have been severed from the company and had a vastly reduced retirement. That skilled tradesman was one of those stakeholders.

Things sorted themselves out as well as could be expected.

I am grateful that the skilled tradesman, who I didn't know from Adam when we had our little conversation, felt no desire to thump me in the head with his oar and push my head beneath the water. You just never know what twists-and-turns fate has for you...

6 comments:

  1. I had an executive that was a bit higher than me in the food chain that ordered me on the telephone to do something that was unethical , illegal , and just plain rotten . I proceeded to implement his instructions but carefully emailed him for each and every detail . When the company got caught with there drawers down he tried to blame me . I of course had hard copies and digital which I proceeded to fax to him . It all went away quickly . Always wondered how much it cost them to disappear the problem . Wise as serpents but gentle as doves . I always watch my back .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Email has been my friend for a long time. Once had a sales rep create a many thousands of dollar loss to the company when the hw we quoted didn't match the RFP. Management started looking for heads and the rep claimed I missed the hardware we had to provide. I found the email where he told me to "just match the other vendor's quote" when I wanted to do a formal review. Suddenly the guns were aimed in a different direction. When he resigned later There Was Much Rejoicing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Be nice on your way up.

    You dont know when you may have to c9me back down.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What goes around, comes around. Of course, you knew that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was working on a job as an outside inspector at a nuke facility.
    A electrician was trying to lower a hydraulic tensioner with a chain hoist by himself when I asked him to step aside. I got it where it need to be and said, "Look I didn't want you to get hurt. If you need more help go get it."
    Ended up he was the shop steward and greatful. I never had a problem during the whole two weeks there.

    ReplyDelete

Readers who are willing to comment make this a better blog. Civil dialog is a valuable thing.