Mrs ERJ was telling me of a discussion she had with one of her friends regarding right-to-life vs. right-to-chose (abortion).
Mrs ERJ's friend said that she wished she knew when the soul entered the developing fetus. In her mind, that is when the fetus changes from a lump of flesh to a human. Before the soul enters the fetus, an abortion is as moral-neutral as removing a skin-tag.
This argument is seductive and it is also fraught with a high degree of slippery-slope risk.
- What if a gifted orator makes a compelling case that children less than four-years old have no soul?
- What if somebody who hates people who sunburn easily makes a compelling case that red-heads have no soul?
- Or cat lovers?
- Or people who ever scored less than 80 on an IQ test?
- Or people who ever scored above 120 on an IQ test?
- Or people who listen to rap music?
- Or listen to Vivaldi?
- Or people who blog?
- Or people who go to certain news sources?
We aren't ever going to know when the soul enters into the picture for a scientific certainty so that criteria doesn't work.ReplyDelete
As God said in Jeremiah "Before I formed you in the womb I knew you; Before you were born I sanctified you; I ordained you a prophet to the nations.” Good enough for me.
It's amazing the mental contortions people will accept to avoid confronting the truth.ReplyDelete