Sunday, December 8, 2013

Sunday Thought: Is it Possible to Love Jesus and Hate Religion

Belladonna shared this video with me last night.


She thought it was awesome.  She is still at a stage where she judges the quality of the message based on the production values.  Poor old Father David cannot compete with this guy and his professional writers, 6 cameras, 4 microphones, multiple takes and professional editing.

Me...I was not so happy with the video.  It is a little tough to engage in dialog with somebody who is rapping at me via a video (and a daughter who is "shushing" me, "Just listen, Dad").  But, lucky for me, I have this blog!

---Disclosure--- I love my Church and I love my religion.  ---End Disclosure---

Let's look at what the Bible says


The rapper states that Jesus hated religion.  I do not recall reading that in the Bible.   Note that I will use Rubric convention, the words of Jesus will be in red pixels.  I want to call attention to the purity of where the words came from.

His objections


The rapper is a little bit vague about what parts of religion he objects to.  Perhaps he objects to the laws and rules?
“Do not think that I have come to abolish the law or the prophets. I have come not to abolish but to fulfill. 18Amen, I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest letter or the smallest part of a letter will pass from the law, until all things have taken place. 19Therefore, whoever breaks one of the least of these commandments and teaches others to do so will be called least in the kingdom of heaven. But whoever obeys and teaches these commandments will be called greatest in the kingdom of heaven."  Matt 5:17-19

Maybe he objects to Church and authority?
Jesus said to him in reply, “17Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah. For flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but my heavenly Father. 18 And so I say to you, you are Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church, and the gates of the netherworld shall not prevail against it. 19l I will give you the keys to the kingdom of heaven. Whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven; and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.” Matt 16:17-19

He repeated claims to be punching holes beneath the water-line as he claims that religion is owned by hypocrites.   Yes, Jesus did say harsh things about hypocrites.  But he also says the following.
Peter said to him in reply, “Though all may have their faith in you shaken, mine will never be.” 34Jesus said to him, “Amen, I say to you, this very night before the cock crows, you will deny me three times.” 35Peter said to him, “Even though I should have to die with you, I will not deny you.”  Matt 26:33-35

This came to pass....and Jesus remained loyal to Peter, in spite of Peter's repeated weakness.


Truth in advertising


It is pretty hard to say you "Love Jesus but Hate Religion" when you crap all over a significant portion of what Jesus actually said.  It is insidious to claim one can eliminate hypocrisy by eliminating rules. Belladonna is of an age to think that all who came before her screwed it all up, so she is vulnerable to this message.

I would like it if the rapper were mindful of the following:
He called a child over, placed it in their midst, 3 and said, “Amen, I say to you, unless you turn and become like children, you will not enter the kingdom of heaven. 4 Whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven. 5 And whoever receives one child such as this in my name receives me. 6 Whoever causes one of these little ones who believe in me to sin, it would be better for him to have a great millstone hung around his neck and to be drowned in the depths of the sea. 7 Woe to the world because of things that cause sin! Such things must come, but woe to the one through whom they come" Matt 18:2-7

Addendum:

John and Charles Wesley taught us much about music's ability to talk to our soul.  This post bothered me a little bit because it ended on a down note.  I heard this music on Dec 11 while running on a treadmill and thought it would be a good counterpoint to the video shown above.

I Hold On




No comments:

Post a Comment

Readers who are willing to comment make this a better blog. Civil dialog is a valuable thing.