Sunday, December 15, 2013

Dirty Hulls

I noticed that some of the shotgun hulls I had picked up had debris in them.  I thought I had inspected as I sorted, but some clearly slipped through.  All of the debris consisted of small leaves.

It begged the question, had I reloaded any with debris in the bottom of them and, if so, what would the effect be?

Setup


Winchester Universal hull, Winchester shotgun primer, dried Salix discolor (pussy willow) leaf, 17 grains Red Dot powder, WA12SL type wad, 7/8 oz #6 shot.


Salix discolor leaf

Cut to about 0.40" diameter.

Yup.  It nestled in the bottom of the shell and completely covered the primer.

Normal reloading process was followed after inserting the debris.

It went "BOOM!" just fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Readers who are willing to comment make this a better blog. Civil dialog is a valuable thing.