Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Digital vs Analog

The native "operating system" for human beings is analog.  We can process information digitally but it is slower because it is a non-native process.  Stress degrades our digital processing more than the analog processes because digital demands higher cognitive overhead and stress diminishes that capability.

Fast and low error = analog

More precision (sometimes) = digital

Graphic is good.  Load on left is 9 single-ought in front of 25 grains of Unique.  Load on right is 1.125 oz of #6 shot in front of 25 grains of Unique.

If you have been following this blog you know that I started reloading a lighter recoiling load of #6 shot for Belladonna and Kubota.  While it is a fine rabbit load, the rabbit graphic is already spoken for.

I asked both Belladonna and Kubota for suggestions regarding an alternative graphic.

Their suggestion was unanimous, quickly arrived at and emphatic.




They both hate "barn" cats, polebarn pumas, tomcats.
I did not argue with the customer.

2 comments:

  1. Unique is the most versatile powder I've ever used. Shotgun, handgun, rifle, Unique does it all. If you give me time to consult my manuals, I can find a Unique load for just about everything. It may not be the best performing load, but it will expel a projectile at lethal velocities.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am also a big fan of Unique.

      Alliant does not list any 7/8 oz 12 gauge loads with Unique. I just needed a faster burning powder. While I am sure I could dial in a load using my chrony, the pressures might be so low that I would get erratic burn and varying velocities.

      The one other time I chose a different powder was when I was loading Double Ended Wad Cutters for the .38 Special. *My* reloader was not repeatable at the very low charge weights with Unique. I could not get it to throw the required weight. For that application I switched to Titegroup (3.2gr) and never looked back. One pound of Titegroup is enough for about 2200 rounds so I am probably set for life.

      Delete

Readers who are willing to comment make this a better blog. Civil dialog is a valuable thing.