The plan to go on a walk-about is still a "GO"
There is a 50% chance of rain by 5 PM. Temperatures will hover in the upper-60s (F).
I drove the route yesterday. There are seven corn fields scattered along the 6.5 mile route. Five of the 13 miles will be paved and the rest will be on dirt roads. I will cross two, sort-of-busy, paved roads in each direction.
I will wear my everyday clothing with the exception of compression shorts (underwear) and compression socks beneath my regular socks. I will also smear SPF on the exposed parts of my face and ears even though the cloud cover will be almost 100%.
Applesauce
I got another 16 quarts canned yesterday.
I think we are at our target number in the pantry.
I was very sedentary yesterday and ate poorly, so it is good that I will be moving today.
Pictures
![]() |
| Stylin', country-girl style. I did a double-take when I saw her "bracelets". Quicksilver on the way to play-date sporting some "drip". |
![]() |
| Winter squash curing on top of the woodpile. The stems, aka "handles", have to dry out and the shells have to harden. |
![]() |
| Real Men protect their women from all hazards. To protect my woman, I ate this before she even knew it was in the house. |
![]() |
| Cutting it close. I cook up enough apples to make 7 quarts of apple sauce per batch. A little bit over is OK. This is how much that was left after the first batch of 7. |
I did not have the correct length of pop-rivets in stock. The ones I had were too long. I cut them to the correct length with a hacksaw but could not use the pop-rivet tool. I clamped a maul in my vice to use as an anvil and tapped the other end with a hammer. The mandrel fell out and left a hole. I plugged the holes with a bit of wooden match.
Improvise, adapt, overcome.
Bonus Dad-joke
Frogs never weld metal together. They prefer "Rivet"s





Good luck on the ruck. I got some high-intensity exercise yesterday as we received our winter hay delivery. In less than an hour we had unloaded and stacked 241 bales of hay into the barn. With a little luck it will last all winter.
ReplyDeleteWhat is the hay, cost (bale or ton $), and its intended purpose?
DeleteMy buddy was doing orchard timothy hay, $8 a 60-70# bale. Still sitting on half a barn, he has decided to sit this year out, let the dairy next door clear the fields. Finding help was his biggest reason for not doing this year,
Jerry
New York 2nd cut, 45lb bales, for my sheep and pigs through the winter. I raise Idaho Pasture pigs which graze and get 2/3 of their diet as grass. Here in New Hampshire it cost a shocking $12/bale delivered. That's a 14% increase from last year.
DeleteI don't know anything about Compression Shorts but it sounds like a bad idea when you need to pee. ---ken
ReplyDeleteI was stationed at the Coast Guard air station in Traverse City 95-97 and I remember being impressed by the number of dirt roads in Michigan that I saw when we were flying.
ReplyDeleteFWIW I was impressed with Michigan, if I hadn't already had a spot to retire to...
Standard warning about staying hydrated and reaplying sunscreen. Look forward to the after report.
ReplyDelete