Friday, September 4, 2026

T-storms

We got a chain of thunderstorms starting at 2:00 AM today and it looks to continue through the day. We picked up an inch of rain and the weather-guessers think we might get another inch.

My location at the red-x. Storms are traveling in from northwest toward southeast.

The ducks are not happy that I didn't mix their dry, powdered feed (mash) with water. If I did, the inch of rain will turn it to soup.

I might do a little bit of carpentry today. 

Woodchucks

I usually dispatch woodchucks with body-grip traps or the might .22LR (Long Rifle).

Yesterday, due to an unusual confluence of events, I found myself looking at a woodchuck from a range of 15 yards and I had a 5.56mm NATO rifle in my hands. I had 77 grain TMK ammo in the magazine.

It was enough gun. Bang-flop. A hole in the east end and a much larger hole in the west end.

Dialing back

I decided to drop back to running every third day just like I am lifting. I will off-set them so I will have Lifting-Running-Rest, repeat.

I had been aiming to run every-other day and lift every third day. That inevitably resulted in running and lifting happening on the same day about once a week.

Data Centers

Based on the area that lacks cooling units, I suspect this facility is only running at half-capacity. All images from Google.

 So, "B" over at Middle of the Right asked, "What caliber for AI?" in a recent post.

I decided to look into the issue.

The picture shown above is a small, 70,000 square-foot data center. 

The power-switching yard that feeds it is approximately 800 feet away and feeds 138.00 kV underground to the facility.

 
8' by 20'. Ground mounted.

Each unit appears to have a fan mounted in the southwest corner. There are two pads on the west end of each row that does not have a unit on it. There may be a utility panel standing where the northwest end of the unit would be when it is installed.


 

Weird spacing for mobile offices
Whatever they are, they were important enough to erect Jersey barriers around them. 

Another anomaly

This factory was sold to a concern whose name suggest that they make tin-cans. A growth industry: Food in tin cans. Yep. I totally buy that story.

I drive by the factory about once a week. Very large HVAC units show up. Then they disappear. Who knew making tin cans required so much cooling power?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Readers who are willing to comment make this a better blog. Civil dialog is a valuable thing.