Monday, September 14, 2026

Running report

I had no enthusiasm for running this morning.

I promised myself that I only needed to cover the distance.

My first half-mile felt slow. The temperature was markedly cooler than any of the other days I ran.

I wasn't doing anything special. I was just running.

My time was within five seconds of the last time I ran. That is a variance of two-parts-in-a-thousand.

I find it a little bit freaky that my times are so repeatable. It doesn't FEEL like the runs are that similar. I start running. I slow down when I start feeling a bit of discomfort. I speed up when the discomfort fades away. Over and over and over again.

Step-counter

I carried the step-counter in my left, rear pants pocket. That gave me a very plausible 2060 steps per mile. My phone got demoted to the left sammich pocket on my cargo shorts.

Walk-about

I am thinking of going for a 13 mile (20km) walk this week, just to see if I still have it in me. 20km is a typical distance for a stage on the Camino de Santiago.

Wednesday is the first day that I have open. Cloudy weather with a high of 71 is predicted.  

My rehydration budget is 20 ounces every hour (or three miles or 5km) so I will need a bit more than three bottles. I can only fit two bottles of Gatorade in my fanny-pack, so I will be wearing a day-pack. Four bottles will give me an ample surplus. That and a few baggies of trail-mix and it should be a walk in the park.

2 comments:

  1. As motivation on your walk, I suggest walking to a restaurant or ice cream place, where Mrs. ERJ and Quicksilver can meet you. Having tasty vittles and smiling faces to meet you will speed you right along.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course you can have tasty vittles and smiling faces upon reaching home, but a special, out of the ordinary treat, for an endurance event, will make the walk seem more like an adventure.

      Delete

Readers who are willing to comment make this a better blog. Civil dialog is a valuable thing.