There I was in a class receiving Special High Intensity Training.
The class instructor informed me that we would alternate 30 seconds of maximum effort with 10 seconds of recovery for the next 30 minutes. Then she started the music.
I attempted to move the way she moved, to no avail. At 67 years of age, I lacked the flexibility that she, in her early 30s, had.
Stretching,
then
- Burpees
- Lunges
- Kettlebell swings
- Pushups
Repeat
Then another group of exercises.
- Rowing with weights
- Deadlifts with kettlebells (something that I actually could keep up with the class at!!!)
- Squats with weights
- Something else that is lost in the haze of lack of oxygen but I think she said they were Tibetan Pushups.
Repeat
Cool-down with some kind of dance exercise that looked like my bottom half was stomping grapes and my upper-half stirring a barrel of sour-mash before dumping it into the IBC for fermentation.
As I slogged out of the gym, the spritely lass who orchestrated the torture session asked me "Gonna be here next week?"
I haven't decided. I might if my muscles recover by then.
Sounds fun.
ReplyDeleteNow do training for special high intensity seasoned citizens over 67.
The additional goal would be to minimize recovery time.
Pretty sure my own personal recovery time might be a bit north of one week.. .then again, if the trainer looked like the Tibetan push-up gal, that could enhance recovery.
Milton
Um,…no. My back and knees don’t move like that. Even when I was younger my back was limited. That was problem at Appleseed shooting, I couldn’t stay in the prone or get back up easily.
ReplyDeleteUs old folks need to do easier exercises.
Southern NH
It sounds very intense. My legs would probably fall off at the knees and ankles, and I would spend the rest of the class gathering them up so that others would not trip over them.
ReplyDeleteIf you can keep up with that crowd - you are fit !
"a class receiving Special High Intensity Training." What, you aren't gonna use the class acronym? I might survive if we moved to the tempo of "Comfortably Numb".
ReplyDeleteI was once a volunteer responder with emergency services. We were on the Sheriff's Hazardous Incident Team list.
Ha! So that's what they are called. The chiropractor had me doing Tibetan push ups to stretch and strengthen my lower back. Still do them and it did work.
ReplyDeleteYeah, we're NOT 21 or 31, or 41 anymore... sigh
ReplyDelete