Looking around at Quicksilver's play-date classmates, I see all kinds of apparel that sport pictures of the Disney princesses "Anna" (pronounced On-ya) and "Elsa" from the movie "Frozen".
Their mothers think that Disney invented the characters because they didn't grow up with anybody who had those names.
I grew up in the 1960s. Gangs of kids swarmed the streets. Unlike the Boomers, EVERY parent from the Greatest Generation named at least one of their kids Elsa.
Elsa was one of the first non-gendered names. There were both boys and girls who were named "Elsa". The reason none of us chose to name our children "Elsa" is because the boys and girls with that name was always the most defiant and contrary brats.
But let me back-up a little bit. Elsa was always their middle name. Their first name was always "Or". Maybe you grew up with a bunch of kids named Elsa, too.
"YOU get your butt over here, Or Elsa I will paddle your bottom!"
I recall being very unhappy (and pained, even) for being blamed for the behavior of Ida Know.
ReplyDeleteI went to high school with three guys named "Thor".
ReplyDeleteAh, the memories of that invisible sibling, "No-one", who apparently did quite a lot.
ReplyDeleteElsa was the name of the lioness in Born Free by Joy Adamson published in 1960. A movie version was released in 1966 and title song won the Oscar for best song that year. A version by Andy Williams hit #7 on Billboards Hot 100 as well.
ReplyDeleteThe name was quite familiar in the late 60s.
As long as we were home by dark, Or Elsa didn't show up. Good times.
ReplyDeleteKarl Marx had a sister that invented the starter pistol. Even to this day we here her name at the beginning of every race.
ReplyDelete"Anna" (pronounced On-ya) Marx. bad-um-dum-tish, I'll see myself out...
irontomflint
I can attest to that fact.
DeleteLOL, oh yes!!!
ReplyDelete