Sunday, June 8, 2014

Gardening Update

Chickens are rough on gardens.

We have 12 chickens and 7 ducks.  The corn is in tatters.  Somehow, the chickens learned that there was a kernel of corn on the other end of that corn seedling.  I need to plant something else in that space as corn will not successfully pollinate if the corn plants are too far apart.

I believe one of the keys to success in life is to EXPECT failure and to be very ready to migrate to Plan B, or Plan C.  Our oldest daughter learned this lesson very well.  She is almost Zen-like, the water defeats the rock by flowing around it.

Today I planted Winter Luxury pumpkins.  I will also be planting Butternut and Red October squash.  Squash and pumpkins are warm weather crops.

I planted dill and basil seeds.

I moved some onions from seedling trays to the garden.

Two weeks ago the beautiful and talented Mrs ERJ helped me plant seedling trays of Happy Rich cut-and-come-again broccoli and Tropicana leaf lettuce.  I need a plan to protect those seedlings from chickens, ducks and rabbits.

The next big wave of planting is the direct seeding of biennial, root crops like beets, rutabagas, turnips and such. Also, cabbage from seedling trays.  Most of those will go in the ground the last week of June.  That is what will most likely go into the space that was previously allocated to the corn.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Readers who are willing to comment make this a better blog. Civil dialog is a valuable thing.