Tuesday, January 9, 2024

Fine Art Tuesday

 

Plough (Plow) Monday was the first Monday after January 6 (the last of the twelve-days-of-Christmas) when all good farm workers were expected to return to fields and women were expected to resume spinning and carding wool. In many communities in pre-Industrial England there was a parade in the morning and then back to the grind until Easter and then Summer faire"




What struck me was the birds.

In the absence of synthetic fertilizers, manure was hoarded and returned to the fields and a season of "fallow" or "lees" was a common part of crop rotation.

Fields treated that way were rich in earthworms and beetles which attracted the birds as the plow turned the soil and exposed them.


Tongue-in-cheek commentary by the driver of the tractor as he videos this happening behind a tractor-drawn plow.

6 comments:

  1. My dad worked on a golf course for a while. He said gulls would follow the tractor and be indignant that he wasn't turning up any
    worms.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another piece of rural historical knowledge I did not know. Thanks ERJ (and thanks for the very cool illustrations as well). Rural English practices, for some reason, are very interesting.

    The commentary on the video is great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a funny video. I gotta remember that one to tell the city visitors and I'm sure they will believe it like most of that dumb stuff I come up with.---ken

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to get coyotes following my tractor as I cut hayfields in the early evening. Cutting the long grasses exposed all the field mice, and the coyotes feasted.

    ReplyDelete

Readers who are willing to comment make this a better blog. Civil dialog is a valuable thing.