Thursday, July 13, 2023

Rain and lumber

According to the buckets I had scattered around the yard and garden we picked up an inch-and-a-half of rain.

Charlotte, 12 miles to the northwest got 3 inches

Leslie, 15 miles to the east got 1.5 inches.

Albion, 20 miles to the south got 1.2 inches.

Moving lumber

Today I hauled 7 sheets of exterior T-11 type plywood. I also brought home 16 sheets of interior paneling.

The lifting hook paid for itself as I squirreled them away on our property. It made my arm just enough longer that I could rest the sheet on my right shoulder and tilt it going through doorways.

Dad also had some massive boards. I found several 12 foot long 1-by-12. He also had a 24" wide by 1" thick by 84" long board in a light colored hardwood like maple.

I will feel quite successful if I can move a load-a-day.

5 comments:

  1. A honest days work and it sounds like to me a treasure hunt :-).

    Well stored older lumber is so much better than fresh off the truck white wood 2x4's and such.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Priceless gems you have scored Joe

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just added on to the back of the house. You describe a LOT of stored wealth!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That hardwood board makes me very jealous. What a great find!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great news!
    Cleaning out my parents home was done under time deadline. So much went to the dump (not even enough time to donate it all).
    I have mixed feelings about that now, but I think its for the better? Time will tell. Can't take it with you, is the lesson.

    ReplyDelete

Readers who are willing to comment make this a better blog. Civil dialog is a valuable thing.