Saturday, June 29, 2024

Saturday morning walk-about (with dog)

We picked up an inch of rain last night. The towns along the I-94 corridor 25 miles south of us received 2"-to-3" and were under flood advisories.

At nine this morning, I decide to take a shake-down walk-about and at the last moment grabbed Zeus, our 10-year-old German Shepherd.

Nothing catastrophic happened but I called for a hotdog pickup at the 6.5 mile mark. Zeus was fading fast.

Even before that, I modified our route to drop in on a friendly neighbor who let Zeus tank-up on water. Then, before we left, I hosed him down to make sure his coat was damp.

Not in BAD shape but clearly running out of gas. He was  slowing down on the up-grades and speeding up a little bit on the down-grades.

His fur looks funky because it is wet. The dirt is usually more of a butterscotch pudding color and the dull brown indicates that it is still damp from the rain.

Humans have an advantage over dogs because we can sweat. We can also adjust our clothing to the weather. It was only 78F but the humidity was high. All that sparkly stuff is sweat.


I already put in an order for some collapsible, silicon dog bowls. He already has a back-pack so it will not be a big-deal to put 1.5l of water and a bowl in his back-pack. The only (minor) issue is that it might take him five minutes to camel-up the water.

We saw this while walking. That is a lot of money to have parked in the weeds. I wonder what the story is.

Mrs ERJ had this waiting for me when I got back home. I LOVE that woman.

8 miles for the shake-down walk-about. TEVA Omnium 2 Sandals exceeded expectations. A compression sock and an athletic sock on my left leg and an athletic sock on my right leg. Cargo shorts and bright yellow Tee shirt performed as expected. Electrolyte mix needed more sugar and salt but it was OK and I went through 20 oz per hour which is about what I planned for. I have a larger fanny pack already on the way, the two bottles were a tight squeeze.The next trip will include compression shorts and SPF before I head out.

Next trip will be with more hydration for Zeus, an earlier start time (for cooler temps) and I will clip his nails first. Having a way-station lined up was a great move although the stop did not perk him up as much as I had hoped. Maybe we left too soon. I need to get better at "reading" his condition. Watering him out of half-liter water bottles will give me information about how much intake he is getting.


9 comments:

  1. Glad it all worked out okay.
    Be safe and God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A good cook is a treasure. Treasure her indeed.

    A kind man takes good care of his animals. I judge a man by how he treats his dog and if my dog likes him. I think you'd pass exam friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dang that looks EXCELLENT! shoot us the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Take ball-room dancing lessons.
      Meet a pretty, small-town girl at a dance who hates to spend money.
      Ask her to dance.

      Delete
  4. 8 miles!
    Makes my 3m every morning at 5am look puny...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Annie, you are a rock-star.

      An 8 mile walk once in a blue moon pales beside your commitment and dedication.

      Delete
  5. Just my 2 cents but that seems like a lot of miles for an old dog. I would keep it a lot shorter. Like a mile or two.
    Of course, I can’t walk a mile, either. Bad feet and too much joint pain.
    Southern NH

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, we are talking about two old-dogs; me and him.

      It was a stretch since he has been loafing and we didn't work our way up.

      I really think it was the heat more than anything.

      Unfortunately, I am starting to experience ankle pain 8-(. Sucks to get old. Sucks even worse to not get older.

      Delete
    2. Oy. I’ve had flat feet, fallen arches all my life. Really started to be painful off and on about 15 years ago. I’ve gone through podiatrists, custom insoles, and many OTC insoles, and shoes or boots. It affects all the joints in the leg, especially the ankles.
      SNH

      Delete

Readers who are willing to comment make this a better blog. Civil dialog is a valuable thing.