Friday, June 28, 2024

Little bits and pieces

 

This is on a dead elm tree. I tried to get an ID on the kind of mushroom. They don't look like Chicken-of-the-woods or Hen-of-the-woods or Turkey-tails or Dryad's Saddle. And dead-elm is not a usual tree for choice, edible shelf fungi. Morels, yes. But not so much shelf fungi.

Darned if it doesn't look like Oyster mushrooms and a very lovely shade of yellow, too. You can click on any of the images to enlarge them.

Shooting bench update

The shooting bench at The Property sits on a concrete pad and was wobbly. I added an "X" brace in the front.

And I made a form to pour a concrete bulkhead behind the seat. I was ticked off. The bags of concrete are now 50 pounds (shrink-flation) and I had sized the volume for a 60 pound bag. I ended up purchasing two bags.

Manchurian Ash seedlings

I moved 42 Manchurian Ash seedlings from the seedling tray to the ground today.

Apparently Zeus, our German Shepherd, did not think I was tamping them in firmly enough and decided to help me out.

Weeding

I have been doing lots of weeding. I am not keeping up but I am making a much better show of it than last year.



2 comments:

  1. The yellow (or golden) oyster mushrooms are non-indigenous, likely released from mushroom farms, growing kits, etc. There's nothing wrong with them, but they do take resources away from native species.

    I like to roast wild oyster mushrooms @ 400F for 15 minutes, tossed with olive oil, salt, pepper, and fresh thyme.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cannot compete w/ the weeds. I dunno... chemistry is going to be my friend, I fear.
    It's a catch-22.... I improve the garden soil for the vegetables, but the grass, weeds, and other seeds like it just fine as well. It looks gorgeous all freshly plowed and tilled, but after that first rain, the weeds pop up EVERYWHERE. Too large an area to cultivate, maybe if I were younger. Backpack sprayer is going to be my friend....

    ReplyDelete

Readers who are willing to comment make this a better blog. Civil dialog is a valuable thing.