![]() |
| I felt like an exhibitionist wearing these socks...like the morbidly obese guy in South-Florida wearing a skimpy Speedo swim-suit. |
I went to the gym this morning to lift. I wore hospital socks as suggested by some readers.
I felt strong. The weight jumped off of the platform. I went through my maintenance routine with no issues:
6 x 135 pounds (45 pound bar plus a 45 pound plate on each side).
6 x 185 pounds (same as above + a 25 pound plate on each side).
Four sets of 6 x 205 (same as above + a 10 pound plate on each side), with straps.
The reason I consider 205 to be my maintenance goal because that is what I weigh. It seems like a natural place to stop even though I SHOULD only weigh about 175 pounds but am carrying a little extra fat on me.
I had 5 minute recovery between sets. I lifted slow. Each set was about sixty seconds from the weight first lifting off the floor until I set it back down at the end of the set.
After the last set I still had some gas-in-the-tank. I decided "Why not?"
I added a 10 pound plate to each side of the bar to bring it to 225 pounds and did a set of six after my mandatory five minute recovery.
Three days ago, it was all I could do to lift 220 pounds a single time.
I have no clue what changed. Maybe I had a virus that didn't manifest obvious symptoms. Maybe I needed a rest. Regardless of the reason, I am pretty happy with today's outcome.
Random photo
![]() |
| Kerr applecrab with a heavy fruit load |


I gotta find me some applecrab tree's... I'd ferment the bejeezuz out of that right there!
ReplyDeleteA bodyweight deadlift seems a reasonable 60+ maintenance goal.
ReplyDeleteMaybe the reason your lifts were so much easier this round was because you backed off so quickly with your previous lift session, and in essence had a “rest week” then.
ReplyDeleteI wouldn’t be reluctant to backpedal on the deads once in awhile. I learned the hard way that continually charging onward and upward will eventually bring ouchies, and fatigue that can last through more than gym day.
I’m a 68 year old female and would like to encourage Mrs ERJ to get in on the deads (and other lifts) with you, or hear about her if she is doing them.
Great job ERJ!
ReplyDeleteSometimes the workout is just in your favour. To the point above, having a rest week might have helped. Even a lack of sleep or me feeling slightly "off" is enough.
Some days you ride the bear, and some days the bear rides you.
Delete