The last of the spinach seeds for the variety trial were planted today. When I realized that I was going to be rained-out the other evening, I put the cv. "Red Tabby" seeds in water to soak over-night. Then I drained them, put them in a snap-top, plastic container and put the into the refrigerator.
It was my attempt to not excessively penalize the Red Tabby seeds by having them start later. They were fully hydrated and spinach seeds will germinate when it is quite cold, so the seeds were producing enzymes even though they were refrigerated.
The seed bar had issues. Some of the shallow divots were fuzzy with wood fibers and that was enough to keep the seeds from falling out even when it was inverted 180 degrees. I can fix the fuzzy holes by drilling them a tad deeper and then sanding. I am not sure it is worth the effort.
Hardy Hibiscus
I got scammed by a seller on Etsy who was selling heirloom tomato varieties.
I got lucky by a seller on Ebay who was selling "Luna, assorted" hardy hibiscus seeds. Germination was only 50%. I did not expect them to flower the first year because they are perennials, but some of them have. The flowers are absolutely stunning!
![]() |
| My hand is the same distance from the camera as the flower. It REALLY is that big. |
![]() |
| This was the first to bloom. This is the 5th blossom. |
A Goat Festival
I was invited to a goat festival. My readers who are fluent in earthier language can make substitutions as desired.
A neighbor was sending her goats to auction. The trucker showed up. The goats escaped. We were able to (finally) get most of them into the trailer.
The trucker was a professional. As the sweating woman was paying him and apologizing, he said "I've seen worse. Just last week I had to capture an escaped bull. He was in heavy brush and the plot was cut by deep gullies."
I need to start running again. Goat festivals can be extremely aerobic.
Bonus video
HERE. This link ports you into the "bottom line".
Your brain at 101 year-of-age can look like a junk-yard and it is not inevitable that you will have the symptoms of Alzheimer's.



No comments:
Post a Comment
Readers who are willing to comment make this a better blog. Civil dialog is a valuable thing.