Thursday, August 27, 2026

Digging potatoes and visiting a farm-stand and a playground

I dug 100 feet of row in 73 minutes. That is substantially faster than the foot-per-minute I had been averaging. The difference is that I used the electric hedge-trimmer to clear the tall weeds off of the plot before digging.

My rate-of-digging was limited by heat and lots of bending over to move potatoes to the side so the next shovel full of dirt would not cover them up.

My lower back aches this morning but it is the kind of ache that goes away after moving and stretching.

I think I am running a little bit less than a pound of potatoes per foot of row. That is an estimate. When all goes well, I expect to get three times that amount.

Mrs ERJ tells me that we will have more than enough potatoes for our personal use.

Denny's Farm Stand

Yesterday, Quicksilver and I took a field trip to Denny's Farm Stand in Saranac, Michigan. No pictures were taken.

We purchased three pies and some donuts. Denise, the woman behind the counter was charming and gracious.

I had eaten a slice of their mixed-berry pie at a family event and it was awesome.

After visiting the farm stand we went to a playground just south of the Lake Odessa Fairgrounds. The equipment was squeaky-clean and there was a towel draped across the chainlink fence to dry the dew off of the slides and swings! The "gravel" was ground up tires so it was springy.

Quicksilver gave the donuts and the playground two-thumbs-up. 

Something to brighten your day


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Readers who are willing to comment make this a better blog. Civil dialog is a valuable thing.