Monday, August 31, 2026

Grab-bag

I used a step counter for two days and then lost interest. I put it down and now I cannot find it.

I had no idea of where I fell with regard to the magical 10,000 steps a day. The first day I wore it I hit 16,000 steps and the second day was a recovery day and I hit 13,000 steps.

What I quickly noticed is that walking a mile is approximately 2200 steps while running the same mile is about 1600 steps. If you are only looking at steps, then walking is more "activity" than running. Furthermore, walking for twenty minutes is about 2000 steps (with most people not hitting 3mph unless working at it) while walking up-and-down a flight of steps might log 640 steps.

Protein

It was suggested that eating more protein might speed my recovery and reduce the discomfort during my off-days. 30 grams of protein thirty minutes after a "heavy" work-out was mentioned.

Looking at my diet, I am ridiculously short of the 140 grams of protein per day a 200 pound "athlete" might consume. 

What do you guys and gals think?  Any favorites for protein-rich, post workout meals?

Giant Foxtail

The sparrows were feasting on the Giant Foxtail seeds in my garden. Alas, that means that the seeds are viable. They would not be bothering with them if the seeds were not filled with carbs, protein and fats.

More paper-wasps and hornets

***AI was consulted during the writing of this section. May contain errors or manufacturers may change inert ingredients***

For a variety of reasons, paper-wasps and hornets frequently build their nests in and around security cameras.

There are many products that can be used to kill the stinging insects from a safe distance. Most, but not all of them, use a highly volatile petroleum distillates as a base. However, some of the most common ones use mineral oil as the inert carrier. 

Even though mineral oil can improve how the insecticide "prints" on the feet of hornets that were not in the nest when you sprayed it, it has several disadvantages. For one thing, it can stain the siding of your house and it can leave a hazy film on the optics of your security camera that attract dust and decreases the "sharpness" of the images.

For instance, Hot Shot Wasp & Hornet Killer advertises a 27' range but it uses mineral oil which can stain siding and leave a hazy film on the lens or lens-cover of your camera.

Raid Wasp & Hornet Killer is another widely available product with an advertised range of 25' and it also has a mineral oil base.

Even organic products are not necessarily free from staining or that hazy film since some of them contain canola oil.  

3 comments:

  1. Those exercise issues might have something to do with getting older. And it ain't gonna get any better. ---ken

    ReplyDelete
  2. Protein vs calories may be a problem. It is for me, since I don’t move as well. That getting old thing again.
    I know peanut butter, and tuna are good protein choices, and meat.
    You could look into protein powder, added to juice or milk. I used to use a little of that. Can also be added to some food - eggs, breads, cookies. It’s a good excuse to eat cookies!
    Southern NH

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beef jerky, pork rinds, tuna salad, boiled eggs, any kind of meat product. 140 grams isn't a lot. That's about an ounce and a half of actual protein. Maybe eight to twelve percent of your serving is protein (spitballing based on what canned goods in the cupboard say) so you need a decent helping of meat at every meal. Cut the carbs off you want to reduce inflammation. That might help your recovery day too.

    ReplyDelete

Readers who are willing to comment make this a better blog. Civil dialog is a valuable thing.