Wednesday, August 12, 2026

Doublemint girls

Yesterday was a lifting day. I didn't hit my usual time-slot and got to the gym at about 2:15 PM.

One of the people at the desk noticed my hospital socks and very gently and very professionally informed me that they were not allowed. He also added that he understood why I want to wear them. He also explained that they get a lot of high school kids who want to work-out in shower-slide. Shower slides have unstable soles and no side-stability; they are accidents waiting to happen when lifting. Ergo, only lace-up athletic shoes are allowed in the weight-room.

I think he was surprised when I didn't give him any push-back. "I used to be a supervisor. I understand that you represent the organization and that you have to enforce rules. Thank-you for telling me."

I went back to the locker room and put on my regular socks and my street shoes (which are athletic shoes) and went back and started lifting.

As I was recovering between my second-to-last set and my last-set, two young women started using the hamstring machine behind the dead-lift platform. That is where they lay on a table on their belly and hook a padded bar with their heels and lift it by flexing their knees.

I could go into great deal describing them physically, but it is enough to call them "The Doublemint Twins". You will get the picture.

I finished my five minute recovery and got on the dead-lift platform and squatted/bend down to grip the bar...and I felt their eyes on me. A quick glance around confirmed that the eyes of the girl on the machine had her eyes locked on me.

Six repetitions takes me sixty seconds. That feeling never departed.

It was a what-the-hell minute. Are they checking out my gluteus maximus? I wear baggy clothing when lifting but the fabric gets stretched tight down there when lifting. 

The feeling was so novel and disquieting that I completed the last three reps with my eyes closed. It is entirely possible that I lost count of the number of reps and done more than six.

I immediately started breaking down the set-up after the last rep, pulling off the plates and she maintained her intense stare the entire time.

When I left the platform to get the sanitary wipe to wipe-down the bar, I noticed that the girl on the hamstring machine kept her eyes locked on where I had been....which was between her and the mirror on the wall.

Mystery solved.

Frankly, I am very relieved. I am wearing enough hats already and don't have time to do all of them well. I don't need to add teen "heart-throb" to the list. 

Today's work-tickets

Pick up the yard.

Mow the grass.

Go for a run. 

Weed in the garden for an hour. 

Stretch target: clean out the bed of the truck 

6 comments:

  1. It's the little things in life that keep you young!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Teen heartthrob",feel that will not be a "issue" for you(or me!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I were a motor vehicle, I would probably be a 36 year-old dump truck.

      Delete
  3. At 74 chicks look my way all of the time. Well, it’s more like right past me.😜

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is the reason I don't trust my emotions. Waitress was winking at me one day. I got butterflies. When she pulled her eyelid, I knew she had a lash in her eye. Case dismissed.

    ReplyDelete

Readers who are willing to comment make this a better blog. Civil dialog is a valuable thing.