From the comments, Old Grump wrote:
Wish I could be as comfortable with organized religion as most of you here that share Joe's acceptance. I, unfortunately have many bad experiences with the individuals and organizations that purport to serve God. Every thing from demanding people living in abject poverty to give a significant portion of any income to them while living in lavish homes, committing adultery with vulnerable members and just being accepted as Gods messenger a-la Jim Jones and the Bakers. I can't say I am totally comfortable in my stance but that's where the preponderance of evidence leads me.
It is undeniable that many horrible things have been done by people flying the banner of organized religion. Is that a failing of the people who did the horrible things, organized religion or do they share in the culpability?
The first time something happens the perpetrator is the only one who is culpable.
After the first time, or if members of the religion/church learn about the sin while it is happening and don't address it...then the church is also culpable.
God has imperfect tools to work with. He once called Peter "Satan" (literally, stumbling-block). He betrayed by Judas, one of his apostles. He was abandoned and denied by ten others and the only apostle who is recorded to have stuck with him through the crucifixion is John.
Then, prior to Pentecost, the apostles huddled like scared rabbits trying to figure out what to do next.
I scratch my head at people who reject organized religion solely because of imperfect people when the imperfect apostles were good enough for Jesus.
The church has always been made of, and for, broken and sinful people. And yes, I consider myself to be in that group.
Only slightly related
The church exists to serve people's needs. Different people have different needs for "connection".
Foxes and leopards hunt alone. Wolves and lions hunt in groups. There is nothing wrong with foxes or leopards or wolves or lions. They are what they are.
Some people are most at peace and can talk-to-Jesus best when they are alone or with just a few like-minded people. Other people feel out-of-place when they are not in a crowd. There is nothing intrinsically wrong with either type of person. The fishers of men take us all.

Find a small church that meets in a house on a regular basis. That's how the early disciples changed the world. Small groups meeting in a house, leading quiet lives, following 'The Way' of Christ. But do not forsake fellowship. Even Christ had the 12 disciples...
ReplyDeleteI have a tale of betrayal many layers deep, multiple false accusations, threats of violence, even interfering with my personal finances. It is from my own personal experience with those same accusers and interlopers who I fellowshipped with nigh twenty years.
ReplyDeleteNo, not a cult, but one of the largest denominations in this country. The leaders advised for divorce though no violence, physical or psychological, from me. Every bit is true though upon hearing you'd think it imagined or at least exagerrated. A friend said I likely had a nervous breakdown over it.
After several years I concluded I must be rid of my naivety and be less accepting at face value. A step towards maturity, as it were.
The most profound was to deeped my understanding of forgiveness.
I think that to avoid the church because of what may happen based on what did happen is incomplete thinking. I am no better, but perhaps more understanding.
No matter what, especially so in most circumstance, seek, follow, cling to LORD and Christ, Hesus.
Who remembers the 'Inquisition'? One more excess by the Catholics...
ReplyDelete