Tuesday, August 22, 2023

Pinned down

I get Grandpa duty for most of today.

One of the other workers at Mrs ERJ's favorite charities had her knee operated on and the director was desperate to have somebody cover. Mrs ERJ agreed after talking to me. She talked to me because she had already committed to watching Quicksilver today and that put me on-the-hook as primary back-up.

Well, it is also one of my favorite charities.

Quicksilver is still not 100% but every-other diaper is wet. That is a solid sign that she is hydrated which is one of the main concerns. According to Mr Internet, the guidance is that as long as there are no other complications or symptoms to way two weeks before seeking medical help. By my remembering, Quicksilver had her first loose stools last Wednesday.

So far the little nipper helped me with the cattle water, the chickens, watered the lettuce and helped me fight-off the yellow-jackets to refill the hummingbird feeder.

I anticipate an early nap today. I just hope it is not before Quicksilver goes down for hers. 

In the for-what-it-is-worth category, the lettuce really seemed to perk up with the 300 ppm nitrogen water. That was 17 grams of urea in seven gallons of water and that is all I have been using for watering the last five days or so. In the old days it was considered a sin to mix metric and English units; ie. grams and gallons.

I think it is time for first coffee-break.

3 comments:

  1. My lovely wife has 14 feeders out, I have flowers. In the evening there are up to 60 HBs in the cloud while she refills.
    This was the first year we had yellow jackets. Bastards.
    One of your commenters talked about raw burger and dog anti flea medication.
    He is a very smart man, I am a hero.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grandpa duty is the best

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you considered saving urine for your plants?

    It might seem gross to indoor types, but I produce a gallon/gallon-and-a-half per day. I'm sure, given your full house, you could get much more than that. Diluted ten to one with irrigation water my plants thrive on it. It's free, it's abundant, and the water that would normally go down the drain goes to my plants so it's a double-whammy for saving resources.

    A yellow Tidy Cat bucket fits neatly under my bathroom vanity so it's not in the face of any squeamish guests.

    ReplyDelete

Readers who are willing to comment make this a better blog. Civil dialog is a valuable thing.