Saturday, August 12, 2023

Old Chickens

Story Here

In the spring of 2002, Marsi Darwin noticed one of her hen’s eggs hadn’t hatched and had gone cold. 

As the caretaker of the farm, she knew rotten eggs would attract unwanted animals. So she carried it to the pond to throw it away where it would become food for fish and turtles. 

But as she raised her arm to pitch the egg into the water, she thought she heard a chirp — she listened closer, and sure enough, there was a living chick inside the egg.

“I figured, well, it’s going to die anyway, so I just went ahead and started peeling it out of the egg,” she said.

Darwin had no idea the chick would go on to become a world record holder. But this spring, 21-year-old Peanut, an animal with a life expectancy of five to 10 years, was verified as the world’s oldest living chicken.

...

Now, the 21-year-old chicken comes when called, loves yogurt and likes to ride in Darwin’s coat pocket while she does her chores.

Named Peanut because she was tiny and brown, the bird emerged from her egg as a “sad, wet waddled up mess.”

...Peanut didn’t forget her time as a house chicken. She came when called and recognized her name. And after a few years, Darwin started bringing her back into the house during the winter.

6 comments:

  1. Kindness is seldom wasted.

    Her kindness I am sure was rewarded on the darker days of her life.

    Proverbs 15:13
    A joyful heart makes a cheerful countenance, but sorrow of the heart crushes the spirit.

    Proverbs 18:14
    The human spirit can endure in sickness, but a crushed spirit who can bear?

    My rescue dogs often lifted me up. Who rescues who?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I make 100USD /hr while I’m traveling the world. Last week I worked on my laptop in Rome, Monti Carlo and finally Paris… q1 This week I’m back in the USA. All I do are easy tasks from this one cool site.
    Check it out on this site Click It........ Google USD Work Home

    ReplyDelete
  3. My gosh will wonders never cease. Peanut has fulfilled a destiny all to a series of accidents.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I’ve got my first check for a total of 13k US dollars. I am so energized, this is whenever I first really acquired something. I will work much harder now and I can hardly hang tight for the following week's installment. Go to the Home tab for more detail. I highly recommend everyone to apply.. Www.Payathome7.Com

    ReplyDelete
  5. They give me $85 an hour to finish work on an Apple laptop. I certainly didn’t think it was possible, but my trusted friend made $26,000 in just four weeks working on this simple opportunity ty and she influenced me to give it a try.
    Discover more instructions by
    visiting the following link…… Google USD Work Home

    ReplyDelete

Readers who are willing to comment make this a better blog. Civil dialog is a valuable thing.