Friday, September 1, 2023

Reloading 20 Gauge shotgun hulls

I don't pretend to be an ace reloader but I try to mind my "P"s and "Q"s.

One of the unfortunate outcomes of various bankruptcies and reorganizations in the shooting industry is that the manufacture of some components (like wads) have been discontinued. That can leave a reloader in a lurch.

The supply chain issues have not helped. Dunham's Sports, one of our local chain sporting goods store struggles to keep its inventory up-to-date. For instance, they were advertising a case (250 shells) of Aquila, 20 gauge, 2-3/4", 7/8 oz, #7-1/2 shot with a muzzle velocity of 1275fps for about $90. My local store reported having them in inventory. I went there and...no cases. No boxes, even.

To say I was disappointed would be an understatement. In my estimation, 7-1/2 shot is adequate for shooting vermin like possum, coons, and woodchucks; game like squirrels, rabbits and feathered game smaller than turkeys. It might not be optimal, but it is adequate.

As luck would have it, I happen to have a wee-bit of Vectan AO powder on my shelf. Vectan claims that AO has a burn-rate similar to Herco or 800-X. Data from HERE

The Aquila hull is made on Cheddite machinery to Cheddite specifications. There is ample reloading data for Cheddite hulls, so I can reload them.

Cheddite and Federal (and Estate) hulls may not have the longest life with regards to the number of reloads that can be squeezed out of them, but they have the most case capacity which has benefits with regard to the velocities that can be achieved while staying within permissible pressures. Any issues with not having enough volume (powder + wad + shot) can be adjusted by putting Cheerios or other crushable bulk at the bottom of the shot cup.

This is a good time to be shopping for shotgun shells. $9 a box seems to be near the floor for cost. If you see a promotion and the price is less than $9, it might be a good idea to jump on it if it is a shot-size that is useful to you. The problem is not prices. The problem is availability...stock on the shelves, especially 20 gauge, at least locally.

7 comments:

  1. When I was a little guy about 70 years ago my Great Grandfather and I were out back of Grandpa's shed and we came across a paper wasp nest. Great Grandpa said "that is the best wads there is for your shotgun." I do not know if he meant a muzzle loader or a shotgun shell and I was too young to ask for clarification. I have tried it in both and it does work, but probably not the best. There was probably more to it. ---ken

    ReplyDelete
  2. I own and use a 20 ga. Ammo is always harder to find.
    Same problem with 357 Magnum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've found cheap dove shot 20 gauge easy enough to carefully dump the #8 and replace with better bulk shot. Re-crimp the top with a dot of superglue. Not as waterproof as factory.

    As long as the weight of shot removed matches the weight of shot replaced, I've had no trouble even with a slug. Lightweight filler is nice.

    Don't use in an autoloader as the jarring might allow some pellets to escape to jam up your action.

    But I'm not a firearm expert, just an old Grandpa that remembers cut shells.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The MTA at Mason ,has a fall shoot starting the 7th ,best place to stock up on shotgun reloading supplies .

    ReplyDelete
  5. Today is Opening Day for Texas Whitewing Dove season. I'll swing by the local Wal-Mart and see what they have in bird shells. Dove load with #8 is / was? a common offering.

    I used to love bird hunting, but I grew guilty for killing a small creature for so little meat. Rabbit and whitetail deer - have no problem with that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just back from Wal-Mart. Zero cases of shotgun ammunition. 20 gauge was there, Remington - Federal - Winchester, with Remington #8 Game Load for $11.67 / 25. I bought a 5 pack of slugs for $6 and that was it.

      Delete
  6. I still have enough components (aside from hulls) to load maybe 1000 rounds. I may see if I can generate me some pocket money.

    ReplyDelete

Readers who are willing to comment make this a better blog. Civil dialog is a valuable thing.