Saturday, October 3, 2026

How many peppers in a pint of pickled peppers?

How many peppers in the pint of pickled peppers that Peter Piper preserved?

Three, if they were Stocky Red Roasters. I love the colors!

I recall reading an article about a man who had been tossed into prison in eastern-Europe (Hungary, Bulgaria or maybe Romania) and pretty much forgotten. The cell was whitewashed and the only window was so high that he could not see outside.

One day, he was given a ripe pepper (perhaps from a visitor). It was a brilliant red. He could not bring himself to eat it. He craved the color because he had been starved of visual stimuli. Day-by-day, week-by-week it dried into a shriveled, wrinkled nugget. The color became muted. 

He never ate that pepper. It was one of the anchors that helped him stay sane. 

Duck eggs. The one on the right is from a mature duck. The one on the left is a young ducks first egg.

Rabbit traps?

I heard Mrs ERJ say that she had found a large number of "rabbit traps" in the barn.

That piqued my interest. I was eager to see what she had found.

My old ears heard "rabbit traps".

She had found a nest of "ratchet straps".

She said "ratchet straps".

Communication can be hard. 

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pre coffee no edit. You must have good mouse control in your barn Joe. No mouse "markers" on that nice nesting material.

      Delete
  2. What I heard and what he said are daily occurrences around here. Miscommunication in old folks, sometimes funny.
    Nice rabbit traps! They might get tangled in those, if properly arranged.
    Southern NH

    ReplyDelete

Readers who are willing to comment make this a better blog. Civil dialog is a valuable thing.