The good news is that I turned around before I got on the freeway.
The great news is that when I called the mechanic and told him "My truck is howling. The right-front hub is warm" he said "Bring it in. I can fit it in."
I got a call a little bit later and my mechanic said "Both front wheel bearings are shot. We are waiting for parts. It will be ready by mid-morning tomorrow." And then he quoted a price.
I had the chance to talk over various scenarios with him when I dropped it off. I had already pre-approved replacing the bearings on both sides if one of them was trashed, operating on the assumption that both left and right side had traveled the same number of miles.
Work tickets
I spent a half-hour cleaning off a concrete pad beneath an overhang.
I spent an hour pushing a lawn mower.
I tasted a seedling apple that I had grafted onto a tree in the Eaton Rapids orchard. It will be culled as will all of the seedling's sisters.
I delivered "samples" of Lehigh potatoes to two of my nephews who expressed an interest in them. If they enjoy them, then I shall supply them with more than a sample. If they say "Not my favorite", I will not supply them with Lehigh potatoes.
One of the nephews who expressed an interest in the potatoes is also a home-brewer. I might have some hops for him. Harvest season is accelerating.
"Seven cities that will run out of food first"
One of my student colleagues was a home-brew specialist, and potato wine was one of his regulars.
ReplyDeleteWell sheeit, here I been wasting my time with berries and fruit?!?!
DeletePotato wine tastes a bit like vodka. I made it once to try it out.
DeleteMy wife's sister went to a very expensive private college and had a roommate from NYC who didn't know that you could make cookies at home in an oven.
ReplyDeleteThose multiple meals cooked at the same time without electricity will require refrigeration unless you're eating it all at once. I've had to modify my style of cooking since my fridge died. It has been a challenge. Counting the days until the replacement arrives. Could be worse; ask the folks in Gary, Indiana and Portage. Tomorrow makes 13(?) powerless days...
ReplyDeleteIf Gary's "Finest" would quit shooting at their power crews maybe the lights would be back on already.
DeleteI've always said S HAS Hit the Fan when EMS and Power Crews refuse to go out and stay home to protect their families.
And they won't be able to get a drink of water or flush the toilet.---ken
ReplyDeleteOr use the elevator.
DeleteHasn't NYC among others banned new installs of gas appliances? No coffee for those folks.
OT: a few years ago, Madison, WI took some tornado damage with widespread power loss. It was eerie as heck driving in the dark with zero lights anywhere on a main road being serenaded by many many sirens. Visions of SHTF for sure. Do not recommend.
When Hurricane Sandy slammed into NYC it wasn't long before the failure of the water-septic systems that folks were pooping in their buildings public areas.
DeleteNot owning a spare set of cooking pans today while they are China cheap is curious.
Michael@827:
DeleteI confuse. Spare set of cooking pans to poop in?
When our landlord told us we couldn't use the toilets due to excessive rainfall flooding the septic tank (don't ask about his reasoning), he put a five gallon plastic bucket in the garage but couldn't find the toilet seat adapter thingy. Roomie drove through the floodwaters to poop at a gas station. I dug a latrine. Fun times!
NYC dwellers that cannot cook also cannot handle power down situations like the elevator situation I was replying to.
DeleteMichael the anonymous
Humans are overdue for a culling event. No species is exempt from population pressure and the results. In the wild, overpopulation results in disease or an increase in the predators that feed on them. Humans are subject to this as well. COVID, flu, monkeypox and other diseases aren't doing the trick. Mass mental hysteria may do the trick for some groups. But I do believe that it will be the predators that 'feed' on humans that reduce the overpopulation. The question we should all ask is 'what predators in my area are the most likely to cull me?'
ReplyDeleteAround here a lot of people support the flock cameras. "The government will keep me safe."
ReplyDeleteAnd my thought is: you idiot, government is the predator that's going to eat you!
Yup, culling of the stupid is going to switch from individual events to a buffalo jump real soon.
Premium gas charged shock absorbers performing at their very best are a wheel bearing's best friend.
ReplyDeleteEverybody everywhere can afford a flat of water and 10 cans of something canned ready to eat (stew,pasta, etc.). If you are a parent, it is a moral imperative to do so. But many are grasshoppers, not ants.
ReplyDelete