Sunday, May 12, 2024

Sunday: A day of rest

Today was a day of rest.

We picked up a phone charger on the way home from Mass. Mrs ERJ and I have the same brand and model of phone but she PREFERS that I have my own charger.

Her phone case is blue. Mine is "I can find it in the weeds" orange. I will have to be careful around Sugar Maples in October but other than that I should be good-to-go.

For those who are curious, I have an iPhone SE Gen 3 (refurbished) running iOS 17 (released 2022) and running about $210 if you shop around. SE stands for Economy.

A plan well laid is a job well started

The same can be said about foundations that are level and square. It saves a lot of cut and re-cuts on material.

After a nap, I consulted with Mrs ERJ on the best way to plant the sweet corn. The current plan is to plant four flights, eight days apart starting May 15. Each flight will be almost 100 feet of row or 100-to-120 ears of corn.

That is a lot of stakes. 13 rows with four flights of sweet corn staked out and one long flight of "field corn". That ends up being six stakes per row, each one measured out with care and lovingly hammered into the ground.

We have friends. We have family. Excess will be processed and frozen.

Roughly speaking, we will have corn showing up in the first week of August and continuing until Labor Day.

Neal's Paymaster

 
Hickory Cane

Another 400 feet of row will be dedicated to "field corn". Most of it will be from seed that I have saved. Some will be from some varieties that people in the Tennessee River Valley grew back in the day. That would be Neal's Paymaster and Hickory Cane.

I am happy with the "season" of my saved seeds but the floury kernels are vulnerable to molds. Hickory Cane and Neal's Paymaster will be late-to-very late for me but they are dent corn and more resistant to mold.

All three selections are very tall. That is great for outrunning weeds but makes them vulnerable to blowing over.

Potatoes

The first potatoes are pushing shoots above the ground.

Shout-out to the fine citizens of Eaton County

I did not get called during my two weeks of summons for Jury Duty.

Thank-you for being such fine, law abiding citizens.

6 comments:

  1. I prefer to have my own charger as well. That a way, I am never without one (although I can always borrow one).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have 8' Silver Quean in full tousle with baby ears emerging. I have been harvesting lettuce for over 6 weeks with yellow and Zuquini squash for 2 weeks along with snap beans for the past 10 days. I have Vidalia onions that need to be pulled. Yes, I am in the county that half of the Vidalia onions are produced. I expect ripe tomatoes within the next ten days. The peas and beans are at least a month away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suspect that you might be south of 42 30'

      Delete
    2. Well south of EastTN! Oy, corn and beans just started peaking out and I'm waiting on my first pea's! Tater's got hilled up a few weeks ago. Mater's just now going in the ground.

      Delete
  3. I'm an old guy with a flip phone. I put a square of orange Gorilla tape on both sides for my "find in the weeds or clutter of desk" visual assist.

    ReplyDelete

Readers who are willing to comment make this a better blog. Civil dialog is a valuable thing.