Sunday, October 1, 2023

Just another Sunday

The beautiful Mrs ERJ and I attended Mass as we do every Sunday unless we are sick or incarcerated.

One of the readings was about two sons. Each was asked to go work in the vineyard. One said "No" but had second thoughts and went to the vineyard. The other said "Yes" but then never showed up.

The editorializing in the tail-feathers of the reading sounded a lot like Jesus didn't have much use for people who signal virtue but don't deliver.

This is where I have to work. It is easy, oh, so very easy to look at Progressives in that light (i.e. virtue signaling). I have to work harder at seeing how this applies to me.

Tidying up

There are only two days a week when we are not watching Quicksilver. So we bent that day-of-rest thing a little bit. We tidied up in the basement today.

That means leaving doors open to make lugging items to better places easier. That is just a non-starter when Quicksilver is awake or napping.

Thanks to Anon

Anonymous, who is my most prolific commenter, noted that I shouldn't be walking places because I am a runner.

Well, golly Anon. I had forgotten that. I went for a short, warm-up run this morning. It was 1.5 miles and I did not time it. I find that I don't listen to my body as well when I am wearing a watch.

Big Black Walnut crop this year

This is an "on" year for many nuts and acorns.

I want to make a special effort to collect a bunch of Sparks 147. It has a decent nut, good resistance to leaf diseases and good timber form. There are no guarantees when planting nuts but it is a comfort to stack the deck as much as is within my ability.

I am not sure regarding the pollen parent but there is a large tree of Drake and one of Elmer Thomas upwind of the biggest Sparks 147 tree.

As a young man I was enchanted with "Carpathian Walnuts" but now that I am solidly middle-age+ I realize that I harvest 100 pounds of Black Walnuts for every pound of Carpathians. Black Walnuts are that much more adapted to my conditions.

3 comments:

  1. So, how often have you missed Mass due to incarceration?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was was confined to a hospital bed one Sunday and had to attend via TV during Covid.

      All together, maybe a year-and-a-half.

      Delete
  2. Black Walnuts. Sometimes the old standards really are that for a reason.

    ReplyDelete

Readers who are willing to comment make this a better blog. Civil dialog is a valuable thing.