Saturday, October 28, 2023

Food banks, Age-related hearing loss and Mental Health advice

Number of searches for "Food Banks" on Google since 2004.

The sequence is very periodic with the points of the teeth being the week of Thanksgiving. The two fliers were April of 2020 when the economy was shut-down for Covid and Thanksgiving of 2020.

Over the last year, the top five states for rate-of-inquiries have been Washington, Montana, Alaska, Delaware and Arizona. The five lowest were Wisconsin, Mississippi, South Dakota, Minnesota, and New Yawk.

For those families who are likely to visit the food-bank just before Thanksgiving, I have it on good authority that Radio Station WKRP will be distributing turkeys at local Kroger stores.

Three trips to Lansing last week

I made three trips to Lansing for routine medical visits.

You will be pleased to learn that my hearing is about what you would expect of a geezer of my vintage. I have more degradation in my left ear than my right one. For most of the "banana" my degradation vis-a-vis an average 18 year-old is on the order of five-to-10 dBA. That means that my threshold for hearing requires three-to-ten times higher energy levels than required for a teenager.


The end that shows the highest loss (about 20 dBA) is in the 8000Hz range. That impacts my hearing of the letters "F", "Th" and especially "S".

Those letter-sound are not make with vocal cords but by buzzing/whistling. Try it!

"S" becomes "Sh" by moving your tongue farther back in your oral acoustical cavity which adds lower frequency content.

Upper-crust British "S" sounds have much higher high-frequency content than the softer, lazier US "S" sound. Listen to a member of "Parliament" say the word "Issue". The "S" sound comes hissing out.

My audiologist "suggested" that I could improve my listening skills by having face-to-face conversations. The shape of lips and the visibility of teeth are markedly different between "S", "F" and "Th" so my ears are good enough to discern that there is 5k Hz sound but not good enough to parse out exactly which letter-sound. That can be done visually.

As the "sender", I can improve my transmission by dwelling on "S" and "F" so the listener has more time to decode. This is possible because "Buzz/whistle/hiss" can be extended indefinitely unlike percussive letters like "P" and "B".

I can also soften the "Th" and substitute "D", i.e. "Dat" rather than "That" because the "D" sound has more mid-range content than "Th"

Gratuitous Mental Health advice

You can only have ONE priority that is Number One.

You are not responsible for things that happen that are outside of your control.

You are responsible for how you respond to those (unexpected) things that happen outside of your control.

People who are angry, hungry, tired, rushed or drunk make a lot of stupid decisions. Take care of yourself. Give yourself enough time. Wear shoes that fit well enough that you can walk three miles in them. Eat enough fiber and drink enough water.

13 comments:

  1. On the subject of face to face conversation: I found out how much I depend on watching lips when everything around here went to masks for covid. A learning experience for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. can also soften the "Th" and substitute "D", i.e. "Dat" rather than "That" because the "D" sound has more mid-range content than "Th

    I immagine hearing issues are part of the reason some people learn to pronounce words begining "th" with a "d" sound from the get go; i always assumed it was poor teaching by their parents.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hearing loss is a problem. The left ear is mostly, I suspect, due to it being closer to the muzzle. I will caution those with the problem to avoid buying hearing aids. They are sold to you in a quiet room without any wind or crowded place noise with only the sounds the sales rep wants you to hear. It was the second biggest waste of money I ever did. Next to having my ex-wife. Do not assume that you can trust the salesman/woman more than any other person that wants to sell you something expensive. Be careful. ---ken

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That why I went to Costco for hearing aids. No commission pressures and much lower prices.

      Delete
  4. ERJ, the middle daughter - Nighean Bhan - is studying to get her Speech Therapy degree, so we keep getting bits and pieces just like you have indicated here. Especially with my older relatives, I have tried to start making sure I am facing them and speaking loudly and slightly more slowly.

    For myself, I find conversations in busy places much more difficult now. I do not enjoy crowded restaurants or services for this very reason.

    ReplyDelete
  5. TB: and, all along, I had thought it was because I was not social.

    Huh.

    ReplyDelete
  6. E.R.J. Do you know whether the Cincinnati Krogers will ship or only take local pickup LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My understanding is that they plan to deliver them via airmail. -Joe

      Delete
  7. I heard a rumor that they will be dropping the turkeys in.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My husband has selective hearing loss. Wives know about that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. As a long time user of hearing aids I can tell you that good ones are far better than cheap ones.

    The VA has been issuing me hearing aids for the last 15 years. I just got some with a brand name oticon and they interface with my cell phone via Bluetooth.

    In addition to the quality of the hearing aids the quality of the programming is just as important. All hearing loss is not the same and if you amplify the wrong frequencies it just gets worse.
    One size does not fit all

    I am now able once again to have conversations over the phone.

    A delightful benefit to these is that I am hearing music now via a app on my phone and I hear things I never heard before. It is wonderful to hear the music of my youth again with a clarity I never remember hearing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. On a recent trip to the Chiropractor office, he was lamenting his sister who became an audiologist: "I have to work all week long to make what she does selling one pair of hearing aids."

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ya gets whut ya pay fer. The OTC gizmos are ersatz hearing aids; spring for the real thing via an audiologist who will program them for your unique hearing.

    What I LOVE about my hearing aids is being able to bluetooth stream the TV directly into my ears. So much better than the crappy TV speakers.

    However, be prepared for a surprise when someone decides to click "connect" to the mystery device after their laptop searches for devices. I mean, I like Fleetwood Mac but not when it's making my eyeballs rattle and no one else can hear it. Yeesh!

    ReplyDelete

Readers who are willing to comment make this a better blog. Civil dialog is a valuable thing.