Thursday, June 3, 2021

Pictures from yesterday

 


There is a lot of power in finishing things.

I Rube Goldberged together a ground, the new generator, extension cords, trickle charger and was able to charge up the battery on the old Massey Ferguson in the back of the pole barn.


I got the "boat dock" installed.

I set a woodchuck trap outside a burrow leading into that pole barn.

I planted fifteen (15) sweet pepper plants in Mrs ERJ's salad garden.

And I went swimming. 

Today's project

Stale data but the latest that is posted. It hasn't gotten any better.

Start watering the garden.

I tilled the potatoes the other day and the soil was dry and dust billowed as I tilled. I cannot remember that happening in early June.

I have a system that works for me. I have a booster pump and 5/8" hose. I put two impulse sprinklers four feet off the ground and I water for anywhere between four and eight hours.

Electricity usage peaks between 4:00 PM and 8:00 PM so I try to get it done in the morning.

But it means I need to run hose to the booster pump, drag hose to the annex where the potatoes are planted, pound in Tee posts to mount the sprinklers and find all of the other plumbing pieces-parts.

Pollen status

The orchard grass is still pollinating and I expect it to continue for another seven days or so.

Avoiding it has become second nature. I get quick feedback. I get contact dermatitis when I brush against the seed heads. The smart money is to take a pill-of-enstupidation before going outside and avoiding the seed-heads.

It is impossible to avoid the species when doing some tasks. For example, I had a short in the fence and needed to find it. That entailed walking through the pasture. Never-the-less, I was able to pick paths that avoided the thickest concentration of orchard grass seedheads.

Random picture

This is a very unremarkable house. You could even call it pedestrian. It is on the north side of the City of Eaton Rapids. It is on the main road that connects Lansing to Eaton Rapids.

It is unremarkable except for one thing. Do you see it? No, it is not the flags.

Answer below the fold

Sandbags.

This house is on the outside of a curve and the sandbags are ostensibly there to slow down the occasional hot-blood whose vehicle jumps the guard-rail.

10 comments:

  1. Wouldn't some vertical embedded posts close to the property line accomplish the same thing ?

    I wish the home owner luck, wondering when the next car will come flying through the wall has to be an occupying thought.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. I don't know how the city zoning ordinances read. There may be something there prohibiting embedded posts. Or, maybe the home-owner's attorney advised against it or maybe the home is rented and the landlord put the kibosh on posts.

      Most vehicles that have jumped the guard rail have been trucks due to their higher center of gravity.

      It is on a state highway where the speed limit is 55 mph. There is about a half mile of M-99 in town where the speed limit is 35 before it gets to this curve but that stretch is as straight as an arrow.

      Delete
  2. I suppose I have been reading too many of your stories. I thought they were fortifying their firing position against the raiders.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must admit that was the first thought to cross my mind.

      Delete
  3. When I was growing up the local motorcycle gang sand bagged the whole first floor of their clubhouse. It looked impressive but their rivals still burned it to the ground.

    Gerry

    ReplyDelete
  4. Many years ago in Pickens, SC, there was a house as you come in to town on the outside of a curve on SC hwy 183. For about 8 months or so, you could see the back end of a monte carlo that didn't make the curve, sticking out of the side of the house. They have since, extended the 35 mph speed limit and installed a hefty guard rail in front of it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. For your tractor, look into the Solar battery maintainers:

    https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-Solar-Charger-Maintainer/dp/B08BFJ12SF?ref_=ast_sto_dp

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dual use, fortifications AND hopefully stopping random vehicles... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Outside of the curve guy here. Three this spring, but it's far enough that we are out of harm's way.

    ReplyDelete

Readers who are willing to comment make this a better blog. Civil dialog is a valuable thing.