Thursday, June 17, 2021

Playing hooky

 

Some readers might remember last fall when I was taking "The Kid" fishing.

I got a call from the Kid's father and he asked me to stop inviting the Kid. According to his father, my taking the Kid fishing was causing some kind of problem at home.

He did not specify the nature of the problem. I did not ask.

So, there I was, needing a new fishing partner.

Family to the rescue

Pictures of Shotgun holding up his dogfish made the rounds.

They decided we needed adult supervision.

Shotgun and I had company. My oldest brother showed up at six. My youngest brother showed up slightly later and then my oldest nephew and his son showed up.

We harvested three dogfish yesterday. We also caught and released a couple of 11" bullheads and a largemouth bass. My second-grade nephew reeled in the 22" dogfish.

Mine was a whopping 28" and had a gut full of food. We did not open him up but I believe it was bluegills since they are spawning now and those would be the easiest prey to find and take.

We were using cut bait (a bluegill) and 4/0 circle hooks, steel leaders and spinning rods with 20 lb-test line.

All three dogfish are destined to fertilize the roses in Lansing...at least the parts that don't get dug up by the resident raccoons.

1 comment:

Readers who are willing to comment make this a better blog. Civil dialog is a valuable thing.