![]() |
| Source of image |
I was watching a four-minute video on Youtube where the presenter discussed the reasons why "Backpack Camping" is an endangered species in many Boy Scouting programs and how to "bring it back".
There are a multitude of reasons.
One of them was the hollowing-out of mid-range adventures. Most camping, while still in tents, involves one of the leaders bringing a trailer that was a warehouse for back-up gear. On the more challenging end, the short jaunts from the troop's home-base to a place where they could camp evaporated. That results in a large jump from camping that was only slightly more challenging than staying in a Holiday Inn to a four-hour ride in a car or even having to fly in a plane. That is a pretty intimidating introduction to carrying you home on your back.
Another reason is that no scout shall ever be left alone with an adult leader, ever. That automatically doubled the number of leaders required to do any activity. A shortage of adult volunteers had always been a limiting factor. Trying to line up enough adults whose work and family schedules allowed them to sally-forth into the wilderness with a bunch of young hooligans at the same time squared the difficulty of that challenge.
The scheduling challenge is compounded by the 24/7 nature of our economy. "Professionals" and "Trades" now have to work shifts that can be any day of the week and any block of times within that week. Often, those work hours are dynamic, meaning that the employer can CHANGE them to meet their business needs. I worked one job where I worked 11 hour shifts, day shift Friday and Saturday, night shift Sunday and Monday. I had a one-hour commute on each end of those shifts.
A third major reason is that the United States is vastly richer today than it was in the 1960s. Back then, most 6th grade kids in Michigan had never been outside the state. Now, many 6th graders have been to the east coast or California. Many of them have been outside of the country. Scouting is now just one activity among scores of competing activities for that age-slot.
That richness in material goods also absorbs more potential volunteers. The father who might have pitch-hit as an assistant scout master on a camp-out is now flying to Myrtle Beach to play golf or has a 24' fishing boat on Lake Michigan.
It is probably worth noting that in 1972 nobody was comparing the standard mishaps of young campers to the highly edited perfection of the internet influencers. Back then, you could comfort young campers by telling them that everybody ate scrambled pancakes, that bacon tastes better with wood-ash on it and, while it had its disadvantages, soaping the inside of the pan with dish detergent did make them easier to clean. The goal in camping was not to score a Netfix contract but simply to do slightly better than the last effort.
One factor that the presenter does not discuss is the fragmentation of the family. Suppose you are not married to the mother of your two, shared children and she has custody. On your weekends, you are responsible for both of them. Who is going to watch the other child if you go hiking with the one who is a scout?
A factor that was brought up in the comments is how expensive the backpacking gear is. I am skeptical about that claim. Boots and apparel are MUCH cheaper, after inflation, than they were in the 1960s and 1970s. Backpacks might be about the same but the quality and features outstrip anything that was available back then. Tents might be slightly more expensive but now but they roll-up into a package smaller than a folded US flag and have mosquito netting, integral floors and functional rain-flies. Three times the functionality and one-third the weight.
I am curious to see what the presenter's next video tells us.

Allowing girls into a Boy (!!!!!) Scout troop was a death-knell too. Females can't carry the same loads and pubescent boys and girls out in the woods is a recipe for midnight nooky.
ReplyDeleteI’ll speak in favor of allowing girls into the organization, though certainly not in favor of many other changes. When implemented as single-sex troops I have seen it be a very good thing, and my daughter has benefited immensely. I too was concerned that the program would be diluted and distorted beyond recognition to accommodate females, but this has not been the case from what I’ve seen so far. The rank requirements for Eagle have not been reduced since I earned mine 20 years ago (some DEI crap was added, then removed for now; see my comments below), and I’ve been very impressed with the ability and toughness shown by the girls in her Troop. The alternatives are Girl Scouts and Heritage Girls, neither of which offer as much rigor in the outdoors program as BSA does (yes, this is Troop-dependent, but all examples I have seen of these organizations show that almost all are much less outdoor-oriented than BSA units). The Girl Scout organization is also unpalatable politically-speaking to my family.
DeleteThis is not to say that all is well with Scouting. It is not. The pervasive influence by DEI/woke/LGBTQ forces is real, and I worry much about the future of the program and its viability for my children and those of others with traditional viewpoints.
When finding a troop for my daughter it was difficult to find one that had not been heavily infected by “inclusivity”. Fortunately the weirdos self-identify themselves with a particular patch, the so-called “Inclusive Scouting knot”. This is not a real Scouting uniform item; a 3rd party took it upon themselves to create and promote it. Not an authorized uniform item, and technically not allowed, but uniform “standards” in the Scouts are enforced extremely loosely and it is tolerated, much to my disgust.
As of the last couple of years there is now an option for co-ed troops, so-called “family troops”. I think this is not a good thing. Boys and girls develop differently at different ages, want and need different things, and should have separate units accordingly. In particular, I suspect the leadership of such a unit would be dominated by girls (higher agreeableness and tend to develop administrative skills earlier) to the detriment of the boys, at least until age 14-15 or so. Conversely, after puberty, boys are capable of and require more rigorous physical activity, and tying them into the same troop as girls is detrimental to both. In this model there is also more potential for illicit nocturnal activity, as you pointed out.
Cub Scouts is where I have seen rigor go down significantly, and from my perspective this program is a wreck. I think it has less to do with allowing females and more to do with trying to be “inclusive” and “reduce the barrier to entry”, and very much as a result of adults not being willing to step up and serve as leaders (though these are related). Cub Scouts has never been very rigorous, but it’s so anodyne and pussified now that I question its utility. Fortunately my son will be moving up to BSA soon and I can wash my hands of it.
There have been some positive developments. Hegseth was able to get the noxious Citizenship in Society merit badge axed, as well as slowing the advance of the woke/trans agenda. I am under no illusion that they have been defeated though; they appear now to be largely dormant, I suspect waiting for administration change.
- Paul
Paul, I must disagree.
DeleteVenture Scouts was always coed.
Sea scouts too. Both provide the same opportunity for high adventure as the Boy Scouts, if that is what young women are looking for, without denatuting the Boy Scouts.
Boy Scouts lost a significant benefit when it went coed....specifically men and older boys teaching younger boys how to be men without the distraction of women and girls. Even accommodating female scoutmasters and assistant SMs is problematical IMO.
Woke and DEI also infeated the org. I no longer recommend it.
Former scoutmaster and father of Eagle scout son and of two daughters who also do the outdoorsy stuff.
Differ
I worked with a guy who served as a leader in Cub Scouts. He told me that the recruitment numbers for scouts was very, very strong. He also told me that most of the mothers were (now) single women who were desperate for a man-figure for their little Bobby to look up to.
DeleteHe also said that most of the women were very attractive and if he hadn't been totally devoted to his wife he had ample offers to... well, you can guess the rest.
Camping...actual CAMPING...not sleeping in an RV is going away because people are becoming spoiled by the incomprehensible level of "luxuries" we enjoy without realizing they are actual luxuries. Most people under the age of say 35 or so would MUCH rather spend a weekend gaming, streaming or just vegetating on the internet than doing something challenging like camping.
ReplyDeleteThe decline in moral values by the leadership and their corresponding "wokeness" are a major factor in my opinion. This ties in with the "Another reason is that no scout shall ever be left alone with an adult leader, ever. That automatically doubled the number of leaders required to do any activity."
ReplyDeleteI have to agree with this. Losing the LDS church backing (and a bunch of other Christian congregations as well) was a fatal blow. Scouts are still there, but expiring rapidly as an organization.
DeleteThis is quite true. We're not dead yet though, and I pray that BSA will regain its sanity and morality.
Delete- Paul
In Michigan, 1960s: I recall carrying ½ canvas "half-tents" that needed to be "sewed" together with the tenting partner (2 to a tent; 2 pieces to a tent - fun to assemble in the rain) hiking up to a lake in March - 5 miles or so. Lower MI weather in March was so delightful. Only time I got frostbite (mild) was on a Scouting camp-out. On the other hand, our scoutmaster had one of those boat cars he'd let us ride in. Glad I had the experience; no way would I let one of my kids joins scouts today.
ReplyDeleteInteresting, my Son was in scouts for about 10 years. I think the author makes good points, but misses some of the mark?
ReplyDeleteI saw a clear division between some groups of scouts and their parents/family. The rigors of scouting shone a light on those... modern folks just don't want to be challenged in that way? Give them a complex word-puzzle. The famlies/scouts that were better typically already participated in outdoor activities like hunting, camping, fishing, scouts was just an extension to that. The other kind of family/scout was often single parent (mom) who WANTED their kids exposed to the outdoors (sometimes against said kid's wishes). You were the 2-hour free babysitter she relied on to go grocery shopping. Sad really, but, I get it. Dad's gone, she's trying.
The one cub-scout troop (99) was led by a young, healthy, active, old-school scout leader (former military). He arranged a hiking trip to ADKs, they climbed Mt. Marcy (typically hike to a base-camp, 1 day up and down, hike out 3rd day). All gear packed. One of the kid's fathers was out of shape but insisted he could hack it. Poor sod popped a clog about halfway up, and that was the end of the scouts taking mountain hikes in the Adirondacks.
Scouting has been going down hill for years.
ReplyDeleteWhen I was involved in it in the early 90s, my local council was merging with others due to declining enrollment and they were selling off the closest camp.
Even then there were substantial issues with the program, especially in the national leadership.
They fought for years to stay Straight, and after winning at the Supreme Court, they gave it all up!
My local troop died soon after due to politics and limited adults willing to put time in.
Times change and the BSA couldn't/ didn't stay relevant in many places.
To me, they were like 12 step programs - religious enough to push away the non religious and not religious enough to keep the religious. Their place is society went away and they couldn't/ wouldn't/ didn't find a new one.
Jonathan
I was a Cub Scout but our local BSA troop did not camp or hike. Why I do not know but it did cause a bunch of us to leave the Scouts. Local scoutmasters even back in the 60-70's varied greatly.
ReplyDeleteI used shelter halves as a tent many times when camping and had an old Yucca pack for years.
When I was in the Boy Scouts....
ReplyDeleteWe didn't Back Pack. We left with NOTHING. Climbed mountains. Drank from the stream if we got thirsty. That's all.
You're Welcome