Quicksilver marched into our house when she was dropped off this morning. She bee-lined to the book-shelf next to Mrs ERJ's reading chair and grabbed her phone. Then she came over to my recliner and hopped up into my lap.
She immediately started calling friends and having conversations with them, almost totally ignoring me. The conversations were animated and complete with hand and wrist motions. I was only able to understand every fourth word but the other party didn't seem to have any problem understanding what she was saying.
I took a picture of her after she put it into speaker mode.
Random fungi pictures
![]() |
| Maybe some kind of bolete? |
I am an absolute coward when it comes to eating wild mushrooms.
![]() |
| Bottom of the cap. Much wider than the width of my hand. |
![]() |
| The stem |



And well you should be fearful of wild mushrooms....dying of liver failure is a nasty way to go.
ReplyDeleteAn older Polish gentleman lives within a half-mile of me. He grew up in Poland collecting and eating mushrooms. He does not eat mushrooms over here.
Delete"They all look a little different" he told me. "In Poland, every emergency room knows how to treat mushroom poisonings and they get a few every season. Here, bad mushrooms are one of the last things on their diagnostic tree and they don't treat them the same way as in Poland."
Mycophobia is not always a bad thing. I prefer mushrooms in cans or little plastic packages.
ReplyDeleteNow THAT is one fancy phone! I like discrete buttons.
ReplyDeleteIt is premature to draw strong, statistical valid conclusions, but early indications are that the "tan" button will wear out the soonest.
Delete...while "Clear" and "Data" will be almost unused.
DeleteLooks like a bolete to me too!
ReplyDeleteThere is a giant hen of the woods colony behind me. I have some in the freezer from last year. I haven't tried it yet, but ONE OF THESE DAYS...
ReplyDeleteCotW is one of my favorites! I cut it into strips, batter, and fry just like chicken strips. So good!
DeleteQS phone calls are laughter inducing!!
ReplyDeletethank you for all you do, Joe!!
A few years back here in Rochester, a whole family went into liver failure after eating mushrooms that their grandmother picked, that looked exactly like the ones she knew from Laos . Luckily, all survived, although it was a miserable experience for them .
ReplyDeleteI'm very cautious about foraged mushrooms. While I know many of the boletes are edible and some are considered primo, I've largely ignored them, as I'm not comfortable (yet) dis earning which are 'good'.
ReplyDeleteAs a veterinary pathologist, I've seen curious puppies that have eaten 'shrooms/yafstools growing in the yard, and fully cooked nderstand why some folks consumed ng the 'wrong' mushrooms need emergency liver transplants... they reduce the liver to a bag of blood and necrotic tissue.
Be very careful about the new "AI" powered ID apps.
ReplyDeleteSeems they don't reliably ID safe mushrooms as recent ER visits show.
But then again, we get trained folks who discover they were fooled by a not safe look alike.
Or as that Meme says, "All plants are edible, some are edible ONCE".
I like growing-drying and packing in oil tomatoes and peppers. I get nice flavors and I'm pretty darn sure they will not kill me.
Some are edible twice?
DeleteI'm too scared to try wild shrooms. I'm all for foraging wild food but mushrooms are the knife wielding thug of edible wild plants.
ReplyDelete