Monday, August 3, 2026

A trip to the cemetery

Mrs ERJ and I drove to her home-town yesterday and visited her parent's graves.

The site is covered with majestic, 200 year-old White Oaks

We scrubbed the algae off of the stone and scraped the moss and algae out of the lettering.

I left Mrs ERJ after a bit and wandered around.

Power mowers are rough on grave-stones. These were knocked off of their concrete bases

Not perfect, but it was the best I could do without stretching a line and using edging equipment to find concrete bases.

These graves are right next to the road and in the center-foreground of the overview picture.

The cemetery is hilly by Michigan standards. Family lore has it that my wife's father used to snow-ski through the cemetery after dark as a young man. He hid the skis in a hedge and then late in the evening he would take a shortcut through the cemetery on the way home from downtown. He could build up enough speed to coast into the backyard of his father's house.

Bonus image

A bird had flown into our living room window and left an imprint.

2 comments:

  1. ERJ, that is nice that you are able to visit.

    My mother's side familial graveyard is about 7 long curvy miles from where The Ranch stands. We used to go up every Memorial Day and clean and rake, traditions that are now long gone. Na Clann know where the graveyard is, but I suspect it will become a faded memory after my generation passes on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I joined a site called "Find a Gravestone". Never met bio father but found burial site and with that info I was able to track down 2 brothers. So I'm forever grateful to whoever posted that picture of his gravestone. These little cemeteries are often overlooked.

    ReplyDelete

Readers who are willing to comment make this a better blog. Civil dialog is a valuable thing.