Thursday, November 23, 2023

Gratitude is the foundation of happiness

Being thankful is the cure for being unhappy. Unhappy people focus on what they do not have while thankful people focus on what we DO have.

I can hear the perpetually-unhappy whining "Oh, great. So you want me to be happy by accepting that misery and grinding-poverty and death is the base condition of humanity."

Frankly, yes. That is exactly what I propose. How can you be happy if you try to build your life on a fantasy-foundation of whipped meringue and sparkles? Fantasies may be entertaining but they are not durable.

You cannot "command" happiness but you can be grateful and happiness is a byproduct of being grateful.

My list

I thank God that:

  • I am alive
  • I am healthy
  • My mind still functions well enough
  • I am married to the woman I love
  • By all appearances, she loves me
  • All of my kids are alive
  • All of them live less than an hour's travel away
  • All of them are employed and on-their-own
  • I get to see my granddaughter nearly every day
  • Six of my seven siblings are still alive
  • My house is sufficient for my needs but not so big that it is too expensive to heat and maintain
  • I have food in the pantry and heating oil in the tank
  • I have enough standing firewood to heat my house for the rest of my life and enough stacked and under cover for the next two years
  • I have the means and ability to grow food to eat
  • I have enough money to pay my bills
  • Society in my area is still civil. 
  • I get along with my neighbors.
  • The electricity still flows in the wires, the roads are adequate, I know several good mechanics and tradesmen.
  • I can still worship according to my choice
  • I can still exercise my First Amendment rights by posting this blog

Thanks for reading!

-Joe


16 comments:

  1. There was a song
    "Life is Big, Rich, and Wonderful with your hand in the hand of God."
    Life is good

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Thanksgiving ERJ, and Mrs ERJ, and may we all continue to be thankful for our blessings throughout the coming year.
    irontomflint

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen Joe & thanks. BobT

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank You Joe, and Happy Thanksgiving to all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Blessings Joe. Ive seen deer, none yet. Woody

    ReplyDelete
  6. My wife says you forgot running water and a inside toilet LoL
    She is also grateful for a large tub and shower

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm thankful for the friends I've met on the 'net. You are one of them. Your mind ties together some very interesting tales as well as data sets. And I've learned a lot here, a whole lot. Thank God for this medium. May God bless you and your family... including your tribe of commenteers!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I second this. Happy Thanksgiving all

      Delete
    2. I second the second, or something, this.

      Delete
    3. What STxAR said.^^

      Delete
  8. ERJ, your list inspired me to journal one of my own this morning. It had just as much as you did on yours - indeed, we all have a great deal to be thankful for.

    And this blog, the author, and the commenters of course.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'd add The Sun is always shining.
    Even at night.
    Jerry

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice list, and happy for friends, both in meat space and on the net!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good list of blessings attained. A lot of silver in the lining.

    ReplyDelete

Readers who are willing to comment make this a better blog. Civil dialog is a valuable thing.