Thursday, February 18, 2016

Professionalism

It is odd the little snippets we remember from our youth.

I remember riding with my dad in the car when the conversation turned to somebody he worked with.

I must have been in 8th or 9th grade.  I have always struggled with being judgmental, but it hit a high-water mark at that age.

I remember commenting, "I really don't like that guy."

My dad's reply became my gold-standard of professionalism:

"Not liking somebody" is a luxury I cannot afford.
At the time, my dad was "the big cheese" where he worked.

Professionals do not allow their personal opinions to interfere with the mission of providing service.

I was naive when I entered the work world.  I thought my dad's attitude was the  norm, rather than the exception.

I can only hope that my kids are able to pan the gold nuggets out of all the interactions I have with them.  I am sure I must occasionally say something wise.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Readers who are willing to comment make this a better blog. Civil dialog is a valuable thing.