Saturday, April 15, 2023

Some light, enjoyable videos

 

First day of Rural Medicine

These are fun videos. He keeps them short (about two minutes) and light. They tie in with the blog posts about rural areas, life expectancy and heart attacks.

This is actually satire about the state of rural medicine and how people are shaped by it.

Farmer pain scale


Pathologist goes to Therapy

Generational differences

I was listening a pleasant, young lady (in her early 50s) talk about how weird it was that our parent's generation had so many women put their careers on hold to have children.

It struck my that a watershed was crossed during my generation when women worked as a matter of necessity until they got married. Then the man was expected to bring home enough money to cover the basic necessities of raising a family.

The women rejoined the workforce out of economic necessity or because they found fulfillment in it, but in general women did not have a career, they had jobs.

Thinking back even farther, there was a watershed crossing in my parent's generation when the vast majority of all workers had "jobs". The guy tightening Lug-Nut #3 at the Ford factory didn't think of it as a "career" with possibilities of advancement.

And before that, the vast majority of workers had...work. It was seasonal in nature and you had a series of "gigs". Cutting timber might last most of the winter. Planting might last a couple of months. Haying a couple of weeks. Picking berries might only last a few days.

In many ways, this is not much different than the birds of the field whose diets change in blocks of half-weeks based on what is ripe, the weather (rain brings worms closer to the surface) and the needs of their nestlings.

TB over at .45 blog is showing giving us lessons on resiliency.

We are reminded in Ecclesiastes Chapter 3 that there is a time for everything; that the sun rises every morning and that there is always work...some kind of work...that needs to be done.

Dance with the one that brung-ya

I finished the last two rows of potatoes. I planted about 60 hills of Red Pontiacs, just because.

It seemed like they had a distinctive, pleasant to me, fragrance as I cut the seed.

I also planted seven fruit trees over at the house of the woman who provided day-care for Belladonna and Kubota. She always dreamed of having an orchard but her children were into goats. Goats and fruit-trees do not mix well. Her last goat is now 18 years old and on his last legs.

She gave me her list of intended uses (canning, canning and more canning) and asked me to select the varieties. She got 2 Liberty/Bud-9 apple. 1 Enterprise/G.890, 2 Bluebyrd plums/Myro, 2 Cresthaven peach/Lovell. I need to graft a second variety into the Bluebyrd plums because that variety is not self-fertile. I am leaning toward Seneca as the second variety.

It makes a lot of sense to combine orders and make a wholesale order. With shipping, the trees cost $20 each while trees ordered retail currently run $60 a stem and the shipping is on top of that. 

She was tickled to pay for six trees and I threw in an extra Liberty/Bud-9 because I like her and because apples on Bud-9 run "small" in size.

Bully pulpit

There was a side-discussion on carrots in one of my earlier posts.

MR Tumnus weighed in on the discussion. He has been spectacularly successful in growing carrot. HE would not say that because he is modest.

My small addition to the discussion was to suggest the use boiling water to sterilize the soil where the carrot seeds were to be planted. The motivation for doing that is that carrot seeds are puny, fragile things and newly sprouted carrot seedlings are spindly, unassuming shreds of green easily mistaken for grass or weeds.

By sterilizing the soil in a very local fashion, there is a darned good chance that the green that sprouts will, indeed, be carrots and not weeds. And since carrot seedlings are so enfeebled, not having to duke it out with weeds is a major benefit and they can size up and capture sunlight without much competition. 

Using boiling hot water is pretty straight forward. Till the soil. Make a "ditch" with a hoe where you intend to plant your carrot seeds. Fill the ditch with water heated to boiling in a stock pot (typically 16 quarts) using a sauce-pan to transfer the contents. Fill the ditch to the brim. Patting the sides of the ditch will help contain the water an reduce the amount of water needed to accomplish the task.

 

8 comments:

  1. A reminder please where you're getting your fruit trees, please. I misplaced my notes about that. Thanks.

    I'm still pondering the thermodynamics of pouring boiling water in the planting rows of my carrots.

    I'd think a propane turkey boiler AT the garden plot would be needed and I'm thinking of the hazards to my clumsy self handling boiling water to do the deed.

    Second degree burns from a stumble seems like a season of gardening ending injury. But then again, I work with EMS and in the OR, so I am biased to think like that.

    I've found cardboard effective enough just after the snow leaves for 2-3 weeks enough to smother my weeds and such when I'm converting a bit of pasture into garden. Even poison oak doesn't survive a month or so of cardboard.

    The board trick I've mentioned before seems to keep the birds from eating my carrot seed and keep them damp as the wind doesn't dehydrate them so fast. I can see where his burlap and rocks holding it down would work also.

    Amazing that carrots survive at all. No wonder they attempt to add Queen Annes Lace to the carrot hybrids to provide hybrid vigor.

    I've visited a commercial carrot farm once; I've never seen so many chemicals in use. Their soil was almost pure sand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I placed my order with Adams County Nursery. 25 tree minimum to qualify as wholesale. The nice thing about them is that they allow you to mix trees to reach the 25 and they are meticulous about identifying the rootstock.

      Starks has a wholesale division which does not get much press. Sometimes, at the end of the season, they have excess-to-sales inventory that they give screaming deals on. That is nice for somebody who was a little slow out of the starting-blocks on ordering.

      I can ask around to get some more names if you want.

      Delete
  2. My son TOG (the organic grower) uses a flame weeder for several of his crops. He broadforks his 30 inch wide bed to deeply loosen the soil without turning it, then tills to two inches depth with his power hoe attachment on his walk behind tiller. Then he rakes the bed flat, waters, waits two weeks for the first flush of weed seeds to germinate, then flames those weeds and plants / seeds his crop without disturbing the soil much.

    I believe some organic growers use a steam machine for some weeding. Hot water sounds like a good solution.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've a organic farm nearby I sometimes help at. I've seen both the propane flame system and the steam boiler system in use.

      Looks like something requiring a lot of oil based energy and it seems our benevolent overlords seem determined to eliminate such carbon burning efforts.

      https://ecofamilylife.com/garden/how-long-it-takes-to-smother-weeds-with-cardboard/

      I find if you start the cardboard (OR Old Carpet, my fav) to kill off weeds and such BEFORE they show green and start replenishing their limited winter stored energy that 3-5 weeks does a fine job.

      Nice part about carpet is It's FREE and its reusable as long as you keep the rodents from nesting in it.

      I've rough mowed a field of nastiness including poison oak, smothered it with the cardboard and had a clean slate to plant my potatoes in.

      Delete
  3. When I was a wee lad my mother did not work. My father did and they were able to afford 8 kids on his salary. My mother didn't get a job till after they divorced when I was in High School.
    My wife and I both have degrees and professional careers. She has since retired, I still work but we raised two daughters comfortably and owned a nice home, had nice vacations and drove nice cars. Both my daughters are now married, they both have careers and husbands who work, both have homes and cars. Not as big or as nice as my wife and I but they are ahead of the average couple because my wife and I gave them a head start on most. They don't believe they will be able to afford to raise families. Every succeeding generation after the baby boomer generation the wife and I are part of has had to work harder to get ahead....while the invaders the left imports are handed everything needed to survive. Won't be long before NOBODY who isn't an illegal alien can afford to live in America. All part of the plan apparently.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Think of humans like weeds and garden plants... The coddled ones (plants) usually die off quickly in hard times. The weeds are eradicated with a vengeance. Yet they still grow back. A tough environment makes tougher, more resilient organisms.

      Delete
  4. I plant most of my carrots with pelleted seed so I can hand plant at a good spacing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Totally relate to the rural medicine. Honey, can you take grandpa to the hospital for his stroke? I mean, you're due shortly anyway, and now I have to do grandpas work. (true story. Will be presented as evidence if or when divorce occurs.)
    Paul Harvey had the tale of a man who fell off the roof. "Unfortunately, Your dad's back is broken in 3 spots. Who set the 14 old breaks?
    Uhm, He's never been to the hospital before.
    Jerry

    ReplyDelete

Readers who are willing to comment make this a better blog. Civil dialog is a valuable thing.