This is the frame I fabricated from 2-by-4s and wood pillaged from an old pallet. The footprint matches that of the truck cap that will go on top of it, 5' wide by 7' long. It is 15" tall.
As yet, the openings for the door are closed except for the one that aligns to where the ducks are currently laying their eggs.
 |
| Amaranth (weeds) |
 |
| Ralphie didn't get lucky the night before I mowed the lawn but he did get lucky when I saw him and stopped the mower. |
 |
| We had a house-guest the other day and he removed the batteries from the window alarm. Fortunately, he also left the cover off so I could see that. Very weird and a little bit worrisome. |
At a minimum I'd want a conversation with said guest on why he removed the batteries with a possibility of a lifetime ban on future overnight visits depending on his rationale.
ReplyDeleteThat's really weird and concerning behavior.
DeleteIs ALL your housekeys accounted for? Copies are cheap if he-she returns to "visit".
I had that conversation with the former house-guest. He claims that he had nothing to do with it.
DeleteSince I did not inspect the alarm before he showed up, a prior guest could have removed the batteries.
No house keys were given out. The visit was for very short duration and we don't go out much.
The comment at the bottom of the stack is interesting. They speculated that the batteries (LR44/357) may have aged out and the unit might have started chirping.
My guess of why the side boards run verticle while the end boards run horizontal is because the side boards were a bit too short so they were cut in half.
ReplyDeleteI wonder why the build looks so drafty. Do the ducks require that much air flow? Or, a tarp or other is not yet installed?
My guess is your house guest was Rocky.
Rocky is irrepressable, inquisitive, clever and industrious enough to satisfy his every want.
Good guess on the board lengths.
DeleteOne gap was 12" and the other was 24". The boards are 5-1/2" wide.
The primary function of the "duck jail" is to keep predators out. They can take a lot of cold as long as their feet have a little bedding between them and the ground. The areas covered with mesh can be blocked with cardboard, scrap wood or just about anything when it gets below 20F.
The battery thing is odd even to me, ERJ.
ReplyDeleteDoes the alarm chirp with low batteries even if off? It was probably just a low battery chirp that was annoying. It appears that the alarm is off. I think leaving an obvious clue exposing the missing batteries means they just forgot to tell you about it. Simply turning it off would do the same thing as removing the batteries if there was evil intent. How often does one check if the window alarm is on or off?
ReplyDeleteDOG makes a great whole house alarm!
sam
Excellent points Mr Sam!!!
Delete