Thursday, February 29, 2024

Saw-buck (for cutting firewood)

 

The legs of the "X" with their tops on the right side of the pivot were cut on-the-angle to lower the lift-height from the loading/cutting side. The tips were then bobbed to make it less stabby. The cut is about 22 degrees from horizontals sloping toward the "crotch" of the "X".

Our fireplace insert does best with 15" long sticks.

Today I fabricated a folding sawbuck with four "X" vertical supports. I went with four so I could have them 15" apart so I could use the uprights as visual guides.

I say it is a folding sawbuck but I used some deck-screws as construction aids to hold the two members of the X at exactly 90 degrees from each other. Then the two, horizontal stringers (2"X6"s) are stops for the legs of the X when they are unfolded.

The pivots are 4" long, 3/8" galvanized carriage bolts.

Since I don't have to move it very far, I left the construction-aid deck-screws in place for stability.

I could have made it a little bit taller. The top of a 6" round is about 34" above ground. The other side of the coin is that the higher the  X, the higher the sawyer must lift the log to put it into position.

Not my very best work but certainly not my worst.

10 comments:

  1. The horizontal boards holding the Xs together should be a foot or more lower so you don't saw them off. ---kjen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is why I don't let Mrs ERJ use the chainsaw.

      It takes her longer to cut enough firewood for the winter using the big bow-saw but she gets lots of exercise.

      Delete
    2. That'll keep her in shape. You better behave or she might tie you up and spank you.--ken

      Delete
    3. We use a battery chainsaw, or electric, for a lot of woodcutting into length, small rounds, deadwood, etc. easier to use than a bowsaw, lighter and easier than a gas saw. Might be a good choice for Mrs.
      Southern NH

      Delete
  2. Looks like the one I built

    ReplyDelete
  3. Doesn't have to look good, just has to work good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. For 15" logs, I would space the end X at 14". Length minus one inch.

    Your solution to as built saw buck is to sister a 2x4 on each cross member of the 2nd to last X.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great minds think alike.

      I made it 12"

      Delete
  5. Built mine with saddle joints and inch deep each in 4x4. Only two crosses. There are six 2x6 horizontal braces also featuring saddle joints but only a half inch deep each. Two are positioned about four inches up from the joints forming the crosses. Two are below and Two are down by the bottom end. Glue and screws are liberally applied. The boys in my troop have not broken it yet... Roger

    ReplyDelete

Readers who are willing to comment make this a better blog. Civil dialog is a valuable thing.