Saturday, March 11, 2023

March 11 Training Run

From the Daily Mail

Does anybody else find it embarrassing that the drug CARTELS act with more honor and act more responsibly than Soros funded judges and prosecutors in the US?

"Hey, man" Biden responds "No worries. We will just change the name of "Mexico" to "Afghanistan" and nobody will notice"

 

Running

After a two-and-a-half week pause, I ran today. I clocked 26:31 for two miles. It was on pavement.

Not Wyoming elevation changes but not flat-as-a-pancake, either

Scheduling, grandparenting, weather, sickness...all played a part in keeping me off the road.

I am thrilled that I didn't lose significant conditioning.

The path to a sub-35 minute 5k includes losing a significant amount of weight.

Distance running speed and body weight is directly and linearly related because running involve throwing your body UP into the air and flying forward in a ballistic manner until your other foot hits the ground. Left-right-left-right.... 

If I am now a 41 minute 5k runner than losing dropping from 200 pounds to 170 would get me to 34:51 without any improvements to my physical condition.

Bonus image



12 comments:

  1. Wyoming, the state, has some flat spots too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The highest elevation I ever ran was just west of Wapiti, Wyoming, 5600 feet-ish. The alfalfa fields were flat but nothing else was.

      Delete
    2. I've only been across Wyoming on the I-80/ US Route 30 corridor and if I recall, the elevation was about 7,000 to 7,500 feet. Also, about 30ish miles south of Laramie, WY just inside the Colorado line, my boss has a 100 acre tract that is at about 7,500 to 7,800 feet, with a mountain peak that's around 8,500. Not too good for an overweight runner, but great for the ego if you're a golfer.

      Delete
    3. Joe, I'm in the SE corner at about 5700 ft. My county road runs have a gain loss profile similar to yours.

      Delete
    4. There is a story about somebody from "back East" who drove across your part of Wyoming in a blizzard where the snow was flying horizontally and visibility was very limited.

      The fellow asked the proprietor of the gas-station where he stopped to get fuel "How much snow are you expecting?"

      "Only a coupla inches" the store owner admitted.

      "We don't get a lot of snow around here but we get a lot of mileage out of the snow we do get."

      Delete
  2. Have not run at high elevations. In 1992 I walked up Masada a couple of times, and ran a 10k at Ein Gedi on the Dead Sea, which is 1100 feet below sea level. Atmosphere is thick there, so one cannot get a sunburn, and the thick dry air swipes the sweat off immediately it forms. The Sea of Galilee drains into the Jordan river, which empties into the Dead Sea. Sedom and Amora were towns at the south end of the Dead Sea, and they still mine aLot of salt there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Trying to get on Xiden's good side...

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I was working for a Fortune 500 company I spent time in the Middle East and Eastern Europe but was not allowed to go to Northern Mexico. They could not get insurance coverage for their employees there in 2009.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "throwing your body UP into the air and flying forward"

    Actually, from a personal and even from a biomechanical perspective is more like 'controlled fall' (more so for some of us, although barely could be added too). You're, when not climbing, more redirecting potential energy than increasing it.

    The highest I've shuffled (not even I could claim it was jogging, let alone running) was in the Atacama desert at circa 13000 ft when a colleague was injured a mile away and I had to get there quick (a relative term it turns out). I did manage to sprint ... all of twenty feet (the morning coffee was brewed) at Everest base-camp (circa 17598 ft) though. Now? I need to work up to getting out of my arm-chair (and still fail one out of three times, getting old sucks, Sigh!).

    ReplyDelete
  6. I get paid more than $120 to $350 per hour for working online. I heard about this job 3 months ago and after joining this I have earned easily $24000 from this without having online working skills .

    Here is I started.…………>> Www.jobsrevenue.com

    ReplyDelete

Readers who are willing to comment make this a better blog. Civil dialog is a valuable thing.