Where the stories start...

Wednesday, September 16, 2026

Walk-about AAR

 

I left the house at 9:40 AM. 6mph wind out of the NNE. Occasional raindrop hitting my bare arms.
My backpack weighed 9.5 pounds at the start of the trip and contained 100 ounces of liquid. I drank 20 ounces at 1:10, 2:20 and 3:30 which left me with 40 ounces extra.

I took two acetaminophen at about the 3:00 mark. My left shin was hurting. 

Provisions were two packages of Great Value Mountain trail Mix (240 Calories each) and 12 Triscuits (another 240 Calories) and an apple. That was exactly the right amount.

 

Most of the road was a series of gently undulating hills of approximately 20 feet, about four per mile.

I wonder if they realize that they will be able to sell this truck more quickly if they included their phone number somewhere.


 
The turn-around point. Yes, I slapped the sign.

This keys-out as Blue-stemmed Goldenrod, Solidago caesia

The flower clusters sprout out at every leaf all the way down the stem and it was growing in dry soil in full shade beneath Northern Red Oaks.

It was an uneventful, 13 mile walk. I saw 12 motor-vehicles in the first 6.5 miles and didn't bother to count them on the way back. I was also passed by a guy riding a bicycle.

5 comments:

  1. 13 miles in 4:22 !?! ERJ, you are an inspiration to us all to keep pushing our own personal physical boundaries at EVERY age!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Truck seemed too cheap. Was it rusty?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. High-mileage gas hog of an engine, and needs front end work. I'd say the price is about right.

      Delete
  3. Well done sir ! Not many people even think about a 13 mile hike and go through with it. Your meal choice is sound - I enjoy Triscuit and cheese stick cubes as a mid day - lunch snack.

    I think your injuries from the pedestrian accident are healed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad it was uneventful and went well, ERJ. 13 miles is nothing to sniff at.

    ReplyDelete

Readers who are willing to comment make this a better blog. Civil dialog is a valuable thing.