"The Oligarchy"
![]() |
| Screen grab from the movie "The Death of Stalin" |
The Democratic Socialists love to blather about "The Oligarchy" which implies that they believe that society is run by a handful of men who make all of the decisions in a smoke filled room, decisions which are then carried out by legions of stooges and fall-guys.
Their reasoning is that the complex and sometimes convoluted modern economies don't look like a series of simple, individual decisions. They also like blaming their failures on "evil villains" rather than acknowledging those failures are due to laziness, stupid decisions and random chance.
These are the same "smartest people in the room" who insist that oxygen, carbon, hydrogen, nitrogen, calcium and pinches of of trace elements self-organized into creatures ranging from the influenza virus to Elon Musk and Blue Whales.
VO2MAX
![]() |
| Data for men |
VO2MAX can be improved but it improves slowly. How slowly? Three ml/kg/minute of improvement in a year of steady PT is a typical number. If you are starting at 22, then a year of 3x or 4x a week work-outs is likely to increase your VO2MAX by 15%. The GREAT news is that it isn't going down as you age.
![]() |
| If you are average and start a regular work-out program at age 65 (lower red dot) and stay with it, in less than four years you will intersect the 95th percentile 70 year-old. (upper red dot). |
Another perspective: An average 69 year-old finishing four years of physical conditioning training peeled 25 years off of his VO2MAX's decline and now has the cardio-vascular capacity he had when he was 40 years-old.
If you completely tune your work-out routines specifically to improve VO2MAX, you might get five ml/kg/minute improvement but there is a very high risk of burn-out and then you will achieve zero improvement. Source.
Dog-chain
A neighbor gave me a gift of some dog-chain. I am pondering how to best use it.
My current thinking is to use it to suspend a feedlot panel from the ceiling of the overhang. I can then use the panel to hang tools and buckets. I saw the idea used in a tiny kitchen where it was used to store pots, pans and cooking utensils near the stove.
Some random pictures
![]() |
| Locust borer |
![]() |
| Moth |
![]() |
| Chestnut tree |
.png)





Joe is that Chestnut tree a survivor of the Chestnut blight?
ReplyDeleteHard to make out the leaves to see the species.
It is a hybrid, either Schlarbaum or Szedgo.
DeleteSchlarbaum seems unobtanium although the site is interesting.
DeleteSzedgo is Chinese Chestnut?
On walking to increase VOmax or fitness. Any data about using an exercise bike? Walking is difficult for me, but cycling I can do a couple times a day. PT noted several time my leg strength was very good. I notice the cycling helps my back.
ReplyDeleteSouthern NH
I am not a doctor or a physical therapist but I think the exercise bike is a great idea, especially if you pair it with a heart rate monitor.
DeleteFind some music you like and make 2/3 of your work-outs in the "cruisin' mode" where it is relatively easy (Zone 2).
Make 1/3 of your work-outs a hill-route where you get your Beats per Minute close to the maximum your doctor recommends, then slow down for recovery. When your BPM hits Zone 2, pedal at recovery for another minute and then "climb another hill".
You will probably find that the hills in the later part of your work-out get you to your red-line more-quickly. That is why the Heart Rate Monitor is awesome. You don't need to guess although after you do it for a while you will be able to estimate when to "crest the hill" and recover.
I was doing a little looking as well. Rowing and biking is also a way to improve V02 max, at least from some of the literature - and more accessible to those with knee issues (for example).
ReplyDeleteI always find it interesting that only certain sorts of oligarchies are considered bad. Others are perfectly fine, as long as the match the individual's views.
I found that cycling did not hurt my knees, I did it for a few months before my knee surgery. A month or so after surgery, I could rock the pedals back and forth, which also helped loosen up the joint and get the muscles working again.
DeleteSNH
I'll have to do a bike, can't run/walk any distance after the back surgery.
ReplyDeleteMine is a 40 yr old model. No electronics, no display. Just speedometer, a timer that doesn’t work, and a tension adjustment. Suits me just fine. I’ve seen free bikes on Craigslist, FB marketplace, and at our recycling center/dump.
DeleteSNH
You got the dog chain...maybe attach a dog to it?
ReplyDeletesam