Where the stories start...

Thursday, September 3, 2026

It is hard to stay on-task when it is hot outside

Quicksilver is going through a growth-spurt. She is eating everything in sight.

She followed down the stairs when I went to rotate my laundry. She said, "Let's crack some walnuts?"

So, I cracked them and she ate them. The walnuts are three years old but she thought they tasted just fine, and the flavor might have been just a bit sweeter since she had to work to tease the black walnut kernels out of the shells.

More technical oddities

Our attic fan has not been kicking on during the hot weather.

I assumed I had an electrical problem. I switched out the snap-disc switch for a new 110F close-on-rise and I put a few drops of oil into the fan's orifice and hand-spun the blade to ensure it spun freely and the oil was distributed.

It still didn't run during the heat of the day.

Curious, I opened up the access again and used my IR thermometer. Most of the bottom of the roof was +12 over ambient, that is 98F.

We had a white, steel roof installed about five years ago. Wow. What a difference.

Running notes

The first half mile was about 6:30. It was hot and humid.

I got about 2.7 miles before dropping to a walk. The last segment of the run was into the sun and with the wind. That is, it was hotter than the other three segments.

I committed to running a 5k as part of a team in early-October. I don't know if anybody else will be volunteering, but the plan is to pull together a team of five. I think there is a 50% chance that the team will not get four more volunteers.

If I end up running, I will be thrilled to break 40 minutes. It is a possibility if the weather is cooler and the course is flat and I drop five pounds. I have about 12 more runs to prepare.

Mowing

I made 3/4 of a lap around the yard with the lawn-tractor and the belt snapped.

It was too hot to push a mower.

So, to use the last bit of late-afternoon light, I adjusted the height of the mowing deck. I bought this mower from a guy who mowed a perfectly manicured lawn and he had it optimized for putting-greens. 

Random picture

Hot, Hungarian Banana (Wax) peppers

No comments:

Post a Comment

Readers who are willing to comment make this a better blog. Civil dialog is a valuable thing.